Solutions???

We know many of our students are academically under-prepared no matter the grade level. We know there are many problems with the public education system. There are many politicians or people who have never spent a day in their lives working with children who offer “solutions” to these problems, but I want to know what you as professional educators think are some of the possible solutions to some of the issues the public school systems face.

Personally, in my dream world, I think one possible solution would be to offer free, full-day, pre-K to children in all communities (including low-income and middle class communities) starting at the age of 2 or 3. This would be different than day care where someone basically babysits the kids. Instead children would have quality early interventions they need starting from a young age so when it comes time to enter kindergarten, they would be better academically prepared for their K-12 education. This might also close the vocabulary gap and would alleviate stress to parents who basically end up working just to pay for childcare.  What are your thoughts?

One Reply to “Solutions???”

1. Hi Yvonne,
    I finally found everyone’s blogs and am really enjoying catching up. I just heard a recent report on NPR about full day Kindergarten and not only will better early ed close the vocabulary gap, but the achievement gap as well. My grandkids went to early ed starting at 2 and are so far ahead of the game because of it – especially with social and emotional skills. Granted, they have great parents, but it is quite amazing to see. And yes, the stress relief to parents is a huge benefit , from which we will all benefit!!!