The 2011 New England-St. Lawrence Valley (NESTVAL) Annual Geography Conference will be held at Concordia University, in Montreal, Canada, from Friday, October 14 to Saturday, October 15, with some additional field trips on Sunday, October 16.
All interested participants (students and faculty) are invited to submit abstracts (no longer than 200 words), and proposals for sessions to the relevant member of the conference co-ordinating committee, as specified below. Abstracts are due no later than September 15. The theme of the conference this year is the “Green City” – although, of course, abstracts, posters and sessions on any topic of interest to the membership are encouraged.
- For topics that broadly relate to physical geography, GIS and environmental studies, please send your abstract to Dr. David Greene at email@example.com
- For topics that broadly relate to human geography, urban studies or planning, please send your abstract to Dr. Alan Nash at firstname.lastname@example.org
The conference will be made up of paper and poster sessions, the Geography Bowl, and banquet. Regarding field trips — on Saturday afternoon, the following is planned:
- Montreal’s food and produce markets;
- History of the Apparel Trade in Montreal’s Mile End district;
- The Radical Geography Walking Tour;
- A walking workshop activity “Mapping St.-Laurent Boulevard”;
and – on Sunday –
5. an examination of the old growth forest on Mont St. Hilaire.
Detailed conference information, and final program will be made available online in due course on the NESTVAL website http://nestvalonline.org
REGISTRATION and CONFERENCE COSTS:
Registration and conference costs per member will be as follows:
(A) Registration costs (mandatory)
- US $40 – NESTVAL (US$25 NESTVAL dues; US $15 subscription to the Northeastern Geographer)
- $55 – Conference costs (pizza for the Geography Bowl; Room rentals etc)
- Sub-Total mandatory items: $95
- Note: reduced registration rate for students and teachers of $15
(B) Optional conference items:
- $40 Banquet
- $25 NESTVAL Business lunch
- Field trips: $10 to $20 depending on trip
- Sub-total optional items (assume one$10 trip chosen): $75
(C) Examples of total costs (for guidance only)
- Total (assuming regular member, participating in all events, inc. one $10 field trip) = $170
- Total for students and teachers (assume participating in all events, inc. one $10 field trip) = $90
A list of hotels that offer discounts to Concordia visitors will be posted on the NESTVAL website.
Detailed registration costs and procedures will be made available online in due course on the NESTVAL website http://nestvalonline.org
On behalf of everyone here at Concordia University’s Department of Geography, Planning and Environment, we do hope that you and your students will join us for our annual regional meeting. It promises to be an exciting weekend!