Congratulations to the Class of 2021!

Margot Powers ’21

Geography BA: Globalization and International Studies

“I officially became a Geography major in my sophomore year. I was able to take classes that fulfilled my major both here at UMass and when I studied abroad in Brussels, Belgium in my junior year. This year, I was a Research Intern at the Federal Geographic Data Committee. Going forward, I hope to pursue my master’s degree in France in urban studies”

Alex Heilmann ’21

Geography BA: Environmental Geography

“Geography has been a wonderful and interesting major that has exposed me to issues and events in every corner of the globe. It has given me a much more diverse perspective of the world.”

Danielle Dailey ’21

“I’m so grateful to have spent my time at UMass with the geography department! My time here has been characterized by exceptional professors, interesting classes, and abundant opportunity. I’m so excited to take all that I have learned from the Geography department into my next steps post-grad.”

Pete Crump ’21

Geography BS: Physical Geography/GIST

“I’ve discovered a lot in my three years with the Geography program, from learning about the physical processes that make our planet what it is to the people that inhabit it. I’ve also gained valuable skills in Geography and GIST that will greatly help me in graduate studies as well as my professional career. Some of my favorite classes in my Geography experience have been Web GIS, Oceans and Climate, and Geomorphology. I’m grateful for all the experiences I’ve had and the connections I’ve made in the program, and I’m very excited for what the future holds!”

Le Tran ’21

Geography BA: Urban Geography

“I fell more in love with geography at my time at UMass. I loved the classes I took from Urban Cities, Urban Issues, The Chinese City, Intro to GIS, etc. These classes allowed me to expand my thinking and I am forever grateful. The faculty is caring, helpful and absolutely amazing!”

Isabel Mezzina ’21

Geography BS: GIST

“I joined the Geography department fall of 2018 as a sophomore following a very difficult first semester at UMass. After starting classes as a Geography major, I immediately recognized that I was in the right place when I saw how enthusiastic and welcoming the professors are, how involved and helpful the advising staff is, and how broad the field of geography is in its seemingly endless real-world applications. I had always been intrigued by transportation, the environment and sustainability, and computer science, and I found that these could all be linked together in a geographic career with a path in GIS. Being a part of the Geography Club has also been a fantastic way to interact with people with similar interests, and lead me to forming some very valuable friendships. I am now a geography Master’s student and it will be bittersweet to leave the UMass program forever this winter. Joining this department really changed my perspective on college and on my own interests and goals, and I am very grateful to be in a field that is so important to society in its many facets.”

Lily Crandall-Oral

’21

Geography BS: GIST
Honors thesis “Mapping the Pandemic: A Critical and Creative Cartography”

Gabriel Hamel ’21

Geography BA: Urban Geography
“It was a lot of fun and taught me a lot about the field”

Timothy Fistori ’21

Matthew Hamilton ’21

Annelise ’21

Joshua Huehls ’21

Erin Langlois ’21

Shiekh Noohery ’21

Emma Quigley ’21

Eben Rose ’21

Kenan Slade ’21

Caleb Zimmerman ’21