Thank you to all who came to our movie night! Great opportunity to get to know some of the other student groups at UMass and the PhD Movie 2 was a good look into what Grad student life is like. Hope to see you all at our next events.
Month: February 2017
Welcome to Spring 2017
Excited to get ready for the new semester and new year with an officers meeting. A warm welcome to the faculty, members and new students! Welcome to Spring 2017!!
Fall 2016 was full of activities for UMass INFORMS Student Chapter.
- We started the semester with a volunteering event at Amherst Survival Center helping our local community in September. Photos from the activity can be seen at our Facebook album here.
- In October, we held a panel discussion on how to be a sane and successful grad student. The discussion topics included from managing the coursework to how to be successful in our job talks. Senior grad students Michael Prokle, Shivani Shukla and Zana Cranmer shared their experiences. Photos from the panel can be seen at our Facebook album here.
- At the beginning of November, we tuned-up our presentations for conferences right before the Annual INFORMS Conference in Nashville. We had a great turn-out by 6 PhD students presenting their various research from healthcare to wind energy to supply chains. Feedback by fellow students and faculty was excellent and helped our presenters prepare for their conferences. Photos from the tune-up event can be seen at our Facebook album here.
- Annual INFORMS Conference in Nashville was a blast for our Student Chapter. We had an amazing presence and received cum laude award. Event ceremony, and the conference in general was a great networking opportunity with fellow student chapter officers and faculty. Photos from the conference can be seen at our Facebook album here.
- By late November and start of December, we had 2 amazing talks. The first one was given by UMass’ own Prof. Gopalappa. The title of her talk was “Evidence-based Decision-making – When Decision-making Precedes Evidence Availability: A Public Health Dilemma”. Photos from her talk can be seen at our Facebook album here. The second talk was by WPI’s Prof. Sarkis. The title of his talk was “Supplier Collaboration and Development for Greening Supply Chains”. Photos from his talk can be seen at our Facebook album here.
- We closed the semester in December by holding our traditional end-of-semester party. It was a relaxing event with great food in great company and our members, officers and faculty had an amazing time before saying good-bye to meet once again at the beginning of Spring semester. Photos from the event can be seen at our Facebook album here.
- Some selection of photos from Fall 2016 can be found below: