Two Truths and a Lie

This guest blog post was composed by Evan Kuras, MS student in Environmental Conservation at UMass Amherst.

I attended my first Talking Truth/Hearts in Action session in Fall 2017. We played a game based on Two Truths and Lie as a way to reflect on our sustainable lifestyles. We stated two behaviors we actually do (the “truths”) and one that we aspired to (the “lie”) and the rest of the participants had to deduce which were which! I appreciated the opportunity to assess my current actions and name a goal out loud.

During any normal day, I rarely take time to reflect on the value of my decisions in a grand “lifestyle” sense. Usually my reflections are on a smaller scale. Classic examples might be, “I wish I didn’t have that second cup of coffee” or “I’m glad I saved 25 cents on that second cup of coffee by bringing a re-usable mug.” A grander version of this reflection would be, “is my coffee ethically sourced?” or maybe, “instead of drinking a beverage from halfway across the world, what local alternatives exist to start my day?” Sustainable decisions start small, like using a re-usable mug or limited your consumption to what you actually need or want. But with reflection, your decisions can have a greater and greater impact as you scale up! *sips coffee*

mcharney

Reference Services Librarian, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst. Liaision to Department of Landscape Architecture and Regional Planning, Stockbridge School of Agriculture, and Hillel.