I am a condensed matter theorist working on strongly correlated quantum systems, with a focus on the interplay of strong interactions and quantum entanglement, leading to new emergent phenomena both in thermal equilibrium and in non-equilibrium quantum systems. Some of my recent research interests include: thermalization, quantum hydrodynamics, non-equilibrium steady states, quantum entanglement, tensor networks, many-body localization, disordered systems, driven quantum systems, topological phases of matter and topological phase transitions.
I am an Assistant Professor in the Physics Department at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Prior to this, I was a Postdoctoral Fellow at Lawrence Berkeley National laboratory (2013-2017), working in the Condensed Matter Theory Center at the University of California, Berkeley in Joel Moore’s group. I obtained my PhD at IPhT (CEA, Saclay) and LPTENS (ENS, Paris) under the supervision of Hubert Saleur and Jesper Jacobsen.
- Superdiffusion in the Hubbard model selected as a PRB editors’ suggestion. (link)
- Our work on superdiffusive transport from emergent classical soft solitons was published in PRL (read here)
- MPIPKS Virtual Workshop: I am co-organizing a virtual workshop on “Dynamics, criticality and universality in random quantum circuits” hosted by the Max Planck institute in Dresden, from Sept. 30 to Oct. 2, 2020; together with Michael Gullans (Princeton), Jed Pixley (Rutgers) and Justin Wilson (Rutgers). Apply here! Download the poster here.
- Utkarsh and Brayden’s paper on anomalous low-frequency conductivity in XXZ spin chains selected as PRB editors’ suggestion. (link)
- Javier’s paper on the hydrodynamics of integrability breaking on arxiv!
- ICTP Virtual Conference: I am co-organizing a virtual conference on “here! Download the poster here. ” at ICTP Trieste, on June 8, 10 and 12, 2020, together with Bruno Bertini (University of Ljubljana), Benjamin Doyon (King’s College London) and Marcello Dalmonte (local organizer). Apply
- Utkarsh’s paper on quantum criticality in quasiperiodic spin chains published in Nature Communications! (link)
- Javier’s first paper with Brayden and I on entanglement transitions posted on arxiv!
- Measurement-induced entanglement transition highlighted as a PRB editors’ suggestion. (link)
- ESI Workshop: I am co-organizing a workshop on “Topology, Disorder and Hydrodynamics in Non-equilibrium Quantum Matter” at the Erwin Shrödinger Institute in Vienna, from April 20 to 24, 2020, together with Maksym Serbyn (IST Austria) and Jörg Schmiedmayer (TU Vienna). Download the poster here! (Cancelled/postponed due to Covid-19 pandemic)
- Aaron’s paper on exactly solvable interacting Floquet-Thouless pumps in published in PRL! (link)
- Entanglement transitions at the “holographic” boundary of random tensor networks highlighted as a PRB editors’ suggestion. (link)
- Theory of the measurement-induced entanglement transition in chaotic 1d quantum systems: read here.
- Utkarsh’s work providing a general RG approach to quasiperiodic spin chains posted on arxiv (link)
- Brayden’s paper with Sarang Gopalakrishnan and I on the high temperature spin structure factor of XXZ spin chains in PNAS! (link)
- Topologically protected long edge coherence times in symmetry-broken phases published in PRL (link)
- Congratulations to Javier on getting a distinguished teaching award! (link)
- My paper with Sarang Gopalakrishnan on spin diffusion and superdiffusion in XXZ spin chains published in PRL! (link)
- Utkarsh’s first paper at UMass on hydrodynamics and anomalous relaxation in integrable random spin chains posted on arxiv! (link)
- I got a Sloan Research Fellowship! See press releases here and there.
- KT-like renormalization group scaling theory of the many-body localization published in PRL (link)
- I was awarded a DOE Early Career Award! See the press releases here and there.
- Our paper on Floquet Quantum Criticality accepted at PNAS! (read here)
- KITP program: I am co-organizing a KITP program on the Dynamics of Quantum Information in Summer/Fall 2018, together with Rahul Nandkishore (CU Boulder), Sid Parameswaran (Oxford), and Marcos Rigol (Penn State). Watch the talks online here.
- Our paper on gapless symmetry-protected topological order was published in PRX! (link)
Contact info:Department of Physics, Hasbrouck Laboratory University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA 01003-9337 USA Office: 405A Hasbrouck email: rvasseur [at] umass [dot] edu