My research examines how transnational literacy practices are valued according to shifting language ideologies in higher education, workplace, and community contexts. Methodologically, my work takes an empirical approach to multilingual writing, using literacy history interviews and qualitative analysis to study the lived experience of writing as a multilingual migrant. These interests inform my book, Writing on the Move: Migrant Women and the Value of Literacy; a multi-campus mixed-method study of students’ language backgrounds with Shanti Bruce and Deirdre Vinyard entitled “The Language Repertoires of First-Year Writers”; and my current community-engaged literacy project with the International Language Institute of Massachusetts which has recently created a open source literacy curriculum for learning to drive in Massachusetts.
- Writing on the Move: Migrant Women and the Value of Literacy. University of Pittsburgh Press, 2017.
- Transfer: An Introduction to History, Theory, Research and Pedagogy. Reference Guides to Rhetoric and Composition Series, with Rebecca Nowacek, and Angela Rounsaville. Under contract with Parlor Press.
Articles and Essays
- Rounsaville, Angela, Rebecca Lorimer Leonard and Rebecca Nowacek. “Relationality in Writing Transfer Research.” College Composition and Communication 74.1 (2022): 136–163.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca and Danielle Pappo. “The Rules of the Road: Negotiating Literacies in a Community Driving Curriculum.” Community Literacy Journal 16.2 (2022): 47-62.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “The Role of Writing in Critical Language Awareness.” College English 84.2 (2021): 175-198.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca and Caroline Gear. “Curriculum Case Study: Teaching Driving Literacies in a Community Language School.” Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy 65.3 (2021). https://ila.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jaal.1204.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca, Shanti Bruce, & Deirdre Vinyard. “Finding Complexity in Language Identity Surveys.” Journal of Language Identity & Education. (2021). https://doi.org/10.1080/15348458.2020.1863152.
- Britton, Emma and Rebecca Lorimer Leonard. “The Social Justice Potential of Critical Reflection and Critical Language Awareness Pedagogies for L2 Writers.” Journal of Second Language Writing. Vol. 50 (2020).
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca, Danielle Pappo and Kyle Piscioniere. “Course Design: English 391ml, Multilingualism and Literacy in Western Massachusetts.” Composition Studies 48.1 (2020): 103-114.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca and Rebecca Nowacek. “Transfer and Translingualism.” College English 78.3 (2016): 258-264.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Writing through Bureaucracy: Migrant Correspondence and Managed Mobility.” Written Communication 32.1 (2015): 87-113.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Multilingual Writing as Rhetorical Attunement.” College English 76.3 (2014): 227-247.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Traveling Literacies: Multilingual Writing on the Move.” Research in the Teaching of English 48.1 (2013): 13-39.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Literate Mending: Community Writing and Critical Language Awareness.” Writing on the Wall: Literacy Education and the Resurgence of Nationalism. Eds. David Martins, Brooke Schreiber, and Xiaoye You. Utah State University Press. (Forthcoming December 2022.)
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Feeling ‘Whole-some’: How Transnational Writing Can Mend Literate Fragmentation.” Teaching and Studying Transnational Composition. Eds. Bruce Horner and Christiane Donahue. Modern Language Association, 2022: 190-206.
- Bruce, Shanti, Rebecca Lorimer Leonard, & Deirdre Vinyard. “Locating Linguistic Justice in Language Identity Surveys.” Linguistic Justice on Campus: Pedagogy and Advocacy for Multilingual Students. Eds. Brooke Schreiber, Eunjeong Lee, Jennifer T. Johnson, and Norah Fahim. Multilingual Matters. 2021: 19-40.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Managing Writing on the Move.” Mobility Work in Composition. Eds. Megan Faver Hartline, Bruce Horner, Ashanka Kumari, and Laura Matravers. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press, 2021: 67-81.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Literate Resources and the Value of Language.” Economies of Writing: Revaluations in Rhetoric and Composition. Eds. Bruce Horner, Brice Nordquist, and Susan Ryan. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press, 2017: 161-171.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Writing across Languages: Developing Rhetorical Attunement by Negotiating Difference.” Literacy as Translingual Practice: Between Communities and Classrooms. Ed. A. Suresh Canagarajah. New York, NY: Routledge, 2013. 162-169.
- Lorimer, Rebecca. “The Rhetorical Potential of Translation.” Rhetoric: Concord and Controversy. Eds. Antonio de Velasco and Melody Lehn. Long Grove, Ill.: Waveland Press, 2011. 210-216.
Edited Special Issue
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca, Kate Vieira, and Morris Young, Eds. “The Transnational Movement of People and Information.” Literacy in Composition Studies 3.3 (2015).
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca, Kate Vieira, and Morris Young. “Principles of Transnational Inquiry for Literacy in Composition Studies.” Literacy in Composition Studies 3.3 (2015).
Reviews and Short Essays
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Critical Distance in Composition Studies.” Composition Studies 50.1 (2022.) (Invited)
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Literate Mending in Multilingual Families.” Community Blog of the International Language Institute (2022). https://ili.edu/2022/03/17/literate-mending-in-multilingual-families/.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Literacy as Parable: An interview with Tomás Mario Kalmar and review of Illegal Alphabets and Adult Biliteracy: Latino Migrants Crossing the Linguistic Border.” Community Literacy Journal. 14.1 (2019): 95-110.
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Symposium on the Global Turn in Composition and Rhetoric: Beyond Methodological Nationalism.” Composition Studies. 44.1 (2016).
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca. “Inquiry Groups as Tutor Education: Writing from Below.” Another Word (2015).
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca and David Stock. “’All Things to All People’: The Expanding Role of Writing Centers.” WPA: Writing Program Administration 37.2 (2014): 157-179. (Invited)
- Lorimer, Rebecca. “Review of Writing Home: A Literacy Autobiography by Eli Goldblatt.” Community Literacy Journal 7.1 (2012): 161-163.
- Lorimer, Rebecca. “Review of Decolonizing Literacy: Mexican Lives in the Era of Global Capitalism by David Hernandez Zamora.” Composition Studies 39.1 (2011): 126-129.
- Lorimer, Rebecca. “Writing Centers and Academically Adrift: Why We Might Have to Start Reading These Books.’” Another Word (2011).
- Lorimer, Rebecca and Andrea Olinger. “Review of CCCC Session ‘(Re)Defining Translingual Writing.’” Kairos 16.1 (2011).
- Lorimer, Rebecca and David Stock. “Service Learning Implementation and Administration.” (2010). No. 13. WPA-CompPile Research Bibliographies.
Work in Progress
- Lorimer Leonard, Rebecca and Shawna Shapiro, Eds. “Special Issue on Critical Language Awareness in L2 Writing.” Journal of Second Language Writing (Forthcoming 2023)