Soliciting examples of prefix (non-)cohesion

I am a graduate student in phonology at UCLA whose MA work aims in part to formalize the traditional understanding that there is a morphological asymmetry in phonological cohesion: suffixes are vastly more readily incorporated into the prosodic domain of the root, compared to prefixes. After conducting a modest typological survey of world languages, the data show an overwhelming preference for this asymmetry to exist. I was hoping to solicit help from individuals who are able to provide counterexamples to (or examples in support of) this generalization.
Please email me at noahelkins1@g.ucla.edu or comment on this post below. Thank you for your time and insights,
Noah Elkins

2 thoughts on “Soliciting examples of prefix (non-)cohesion

1. Luiz Schwindt

Hi Noah. Portuguese is a good language to illustrate this asymmetry. We have only three (or four) suffixes that can considered Pwd’s in contrast to many prefixes that show independent behavior. My doctoral dissertation on Brazilian Portuguese prefixes (unfortunately it is written in Portuguese) and some of my subsequent works provide many examples. BTW, my student Camila Ulrich recently presented a poster at the AMP congress on suffix independence in BP. If we need some help to understand the examples, please let me know by email.

Reply