Flapping in English derivatives: your judgments needed!

From Juliet Stanton

Donca Steriade and I are curious about some aspects of flapping in English.  To respond, you can either comment on this post or email me directly at juliets [at] mit [dot] edu.  Please also indicate whether or not you are a native speaker of English, and if so, what your native dialect is.

1. Do you flap in words like sanity, societal, parietal, skeletal, palatal?

2. Do you flap in words like normative, ablative, associative, additive?

3. Do you flap in words like completive, locomotive, emotive?

(We welcome any additional comments you might have on the structure of these words.)

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail
Posted in Discussion topic
18 comments on “Flapping in English derivatives: your judgments needed!
  1. Joe Pater says:

Flapping everywhere, native speaker of Canadian English.

• Laura Downing says:

Hi,
      I flap everywhere except before the words in set 2 (so not in normative, etc.). I think I might have secondary stress on -tive in those words. Or maybe I just think I hear that, as that would explain the lack of flapping.
      I’m a native speaker of American English (basically Midwestern).

2. Alexander Martin says:

Flapping everywhere (Northern California English)

3. Elise says:

I seem to flap in words from list 1 and 3, but not those in 2 (native speaker of Southern California English).

4. Heather Goad says:

Group 3: flap regularly.
    Groups 1 and 2: flap variably, more commonly in group 1 than 2.
    Native speaker of Canadian English.

5. Jessica Barlow says:

I flap everywhere in 1 and 3, but variably in 2. Native English speaker of American English (Midwest).

6. Valerie Freeman says:

Flapping everywhere (native, Pacific Northwest American English)

7. John Kingston says:

I flap in all three, but in the second list a stop pronunciation is possible but infrequent. Native speaker of American English, raised in the northeastern Midwest.

8. Jeff Renaud says:

Flapping everywhere (native speaker, Midwest).

9. Matt Gordon says:

Flapping everywhere (native speaker, grew up in Boston area)

10. Bob Ladd says:

Corrupted native speaker of North American English (second half of my life in UK; first half mostly in southern Ontario and NE USA, but with various connections with Europe even then).

Fairly sure I would always have flapped in all three sets. UK-accommodated pronunciation (i.e. a voiceless [t], more or less) probably affects set 2 most, then set 1, then set 3.

11. Ellenor Shoemaker says:

yes, I flap everywhere noted here. Native speaker of American English (born on East coast, grew up in the South)

12. Kathleen Currie Hall says:

I normally use a flap in all of these. Native speaker of American English (raised in North Carolina).

13. Juliet Stanton says:

Thanks everyone for your responses!

14. Jen Smith says:

Coming late to the party, but I would flap sets 1 and 3 for sure, and I think set 2 is preferably flapped but a non-flapped pronunciation is also possible.

Native speaker of US English; raised in (western) Vermont.

15. Native language: Norwegian.
    I guess I count as ‘native-like’ for US English.

1. Flap everything (except ‘parietal’ is not in my lexicon).
    2. Would definitely flap in ‘associative’. 50/50 for ‘ablative’. Would probably not flap in ‘normative’ and ‘additive’.
    3. Flap everything.

And by the way, I have a weird flapping constraint in my English, in that I can’t flap if the closest preceding consonant is /r/ – except if the /r/ is initial. So I have no flapping in ‘celebrity’ (closest preceding consonant is a non-initial /r/), but I flap in ‘rattle’, since the /r/ is initial.