Advanced Learning Technologies Lab: Link
ALTLab focus: Personalized Learning; Affect and Motivation; Metacognition; Active Physical Learning; Educational Games; Open-Tutor Platforms; Intelligent Pedagogical Agents; and Learning Technologies for the Developing World.
Sponsored Research Projects
- Sloan Faculty Fellowship Link
- Grant of $499,972 from the Sloan Foundation to expand and diversify pathways from undergraduate to graduate degrees in computer science and engineering by starting a partnership between UMass Amherst and UMass Boston.
- Computational Thinking Funds of Knowledge: A Culturally-Relevant Assessment for Early Elementary Students Link
- Co-PI: NSF 2122701: Awarded: 09/01/2021; Amount: US$$499,999.00.
- Fostering Interest in Computer Science & its Applications in Middle School Students Link
- REBLS Seed Grant; Awarded: 05/10/2021; Amount: US$10,000.
- Early Research Scholars Program (ERSP) Link
- Sub- Award from University of California San Diego: NSF 17-590; Awarded: 02/06/2021; Amount: US$20,000.
- Collaborative Research:CyberTraining: Implementation: Medium:Broadening Adoption of Parallel and Distributed Computing in Undergraduate Computer Science and Engineering Curricula
- Co-PI: NSF 2017427: Awarded: 07/22/2020; Amount: US$160,006.
- Collaborative Research:CyberTraining:Conceptualization: Planning a Sustainable Ecosystem for Incorporating Parallel and Distributed Computing into Undergraduate Education
- Co-PI: NSF 1924023: Awarded 08/17/2019; Amount US$31,765.
- Collaborative Research:CyberTraining:CDL: Preparing Instructors to Offer Experimental Courses in an Updated PDC Curriculum, and Broadening Participation
- Co-PI: NSF 1730527: Awarded 06/28/2017; Amount US$367,260.
- Promotion of Science in Schools: E-Gadget Workshops for Junior High School Students
- PI: FDCT (Fundo para o Desenvolvimento das Ciencias e da Technologia), Macau; Project (No. 039/2013/P; 2012-2013. Amount MOP 243,820.
Other Research Projects
- Promoting Outreach and Participation in Computer Science (POPinCS)
- Professional Improvement Fellowship (Fall 2020)
- Al Baha Optimizing Learning and Teaching in Computer Science Collaborative project between Uppsala University, Sweden and Al Baha University, Saudi Arabia (2014-2015).
- Chinese Students Intercultural Interactions in Computer Science in Sweden, Uppsala University, Sweden. 2011-present.
- ITiCSE working group 2022 – Making Visible and Modeling the Underrepresented: Teachers’ Reflections on Their Role Modeling in Higher Education.
- ITiCSE working group 2020 – High Performance Computing Education: Current Challenges and Future Directions.
- ITiCSE working group 2019 – Pass rates in introductory programming and other STEM courses.
- ITiCSE working group 2017, 2018 – Student engagement in CS courses.
- Research Collaboration Network (RCN) UMass 2017- Multi-institution research-practitioner network .
- UMass Institute of Diversity Sciences 2017- Diversity & Disparities in Learning Group.
- International multi-institutional working group 2016-2017- Achievement goals and study strategies in CS.
- International multi-institutional working group 2017 – POGIL (Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning in Introductory CS).
- International multi-institutional working group 2012-2016 – Research on MOOCs.
- Koli Calling Working Group, Finland 2011-2014 – Research on CS in schools.
Other Research Interests
- Computing Education Research
- How novice students learn introductory object-oriented programming; teaching computing; intercultural interactions, student engagement.
- Educational Technologies
- Computing augmented learning management systems, learning objects, visualizations, Web 2.0 tools, MOOCs.
- Learning and Assessment Taxonomies
- SOLO, Bloom’s digital taxonomy, matrix taxonomy.
- Methodological Frameworks for Research
- Action research, mixed methods, personal construct theory, paradigm pluralism.
- Pedagogic Theories
- Variation theory, connectivism, constructive alignment