Advanced Learning Technologies Lab: Link
ALTLab focus: Personalized Learning; Affect and Motivation; Metacognition; Active Physical Learning; Educational Games; Open-Tutor Platforms; Intelligent Pedagogical Agents; and Learning Technologies for the Developing World.
Other Research Interests
- Computing Education Research
- How novice students learn introductory object-oriented programming; teaching computing; intercultural interactions, student engagement.
- Educational Technologies
- Computing augmented learning management systems, learning objects, visualizations, Web 2.0 tools, MOOCs.
- Learning and Assessment Taxonomies
- SOLO, Bloom’s digital taxonomy, matrix taxonomy.
- Methodological Frameworks for Research
- Action research, mixed methods, personal construct theory, paradigm pluralism.
- Pedagogic Theories
- Variation theory, connectivism, constructive alignment
- Promoting Outreach and Participation in Computer Science (POPinCS)
- Professional Improvement Fellowship (Fall 2020).
- PDC Curriculum Early Adopter Grant and Summer Training Program
- Co-PI (CDER-PDCNEAG2018 NSF Award Number:1730527): Parallel and Distributed Computing (PDC) Curriculum Development group to broaden participation of early adopters of the curriculum (2018-present).
- Promotion of Science in Schools
- Project Leader for Promotion of Science in Schools Project (No. 039/2013/P): E-Gadget Workshops for Junior High School Students (2012-2013). Sponsored by FDCT (Fundo para o Desenvolvimento das Ciencias e da Technologia), Macau.
- Al Baha Optimizing Learning and Teaching in Computer Science Collaborative project between Uppsala University, Sweden and Al Baha University, Saudi Arabia (2014-2015).
- Chinese Students Intercultural Interactions in Computer Science in Sweden, Uppsala University, Sweden. 2011-present.
- ITiCSE working group 2020 – High Performance Computing Education: Current Challenges and Future Directions.
- ITiCSE working group 2019 – Pass rates in introductory programming and other STEM courses.
- ITiCSE working group 2017, 2018 – Student engagement in CS courses.
- Research Collaboration Network (RCN) UMass 2017- Multi-institution research-practitioner network .
- UMass Institute of Diversity Sciences 2017- Diversity & Disparities in Learning Group.
- International multi-institutional working group 2016-2017- Achievement goals and study strategies in CS.
- International multi-institutional working group 2017 – POGIL (Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning in Introductory CS).
- International multi-institutional working group 2012-2016 – Research on MOOCs.
- Koli Calling Working Group, Finland 2011-2014 – Research on CS in schools.