Students applying for the Ph.D. program are expected to meet the following requirements:
- A GPA of at least 3.0 or its equivalent for undergraduate study and M.S. program (if applicable)
- The applicant is expected to have received education and training in some aspects of materials science and engineering or a closely related STEM field
- The GRE is recommended but optional
- Every Ph.D. applicant must identify an MSE-affiliated faculty advisor (or advisors) when applying to the program. Eventual admission to the program is contingent upon a commitment from the advisor(s) to supervise the student and to support the student financially through the Ph.D. program.
- International students are required to satisfy the English Language Proficiency Requirements as specified by the UMass Amherst Graduate School
- Evidence that an applicant is capable of doing outstanding graduate work in the areas encompassed by the MSE program
- The MSE program typically provides two semesters of support in the 1st year; if requested by the faculty advisor(s), this support may be deferred to a subsequent year instead
- One semester of TA support could also be available for Ph.D. students who have advanced to candidacy, depending upon programmatic needs and funds.
- Additional financial support will typically be available through research assistantships from the faculty advisor(s), contingent upon the availability of funds and upon satisfactory performance in research and course work
Deadline: Jan. 1 for admission to the Fall semester (No Spring admissions)
To Apply: Please go the Graduate School Admissions Page