My e-mail address is murray<at>math.umass.edu (use the usual symbol there). I am happy to read and respond to your e-mail. But please follow these guidelines:
- Use whatever is officially designated as your UMass e-mail account.
- Include your first name and last name in the From field of your message or, at the very least, in the Reply to field.
- Include in the Subject field “421” and a very brief indication of why you are writing, e.g., “help on set 5 #2”, “want appointment”, or “what was assignment for Wednesday, October 3?” (Vague subjects such as “help” or “assignment” or just “Math 421” are not useful.)
- Send no attachment unless I first ask for it. (Otherwise, my spam filters may otherwise kill your message.)
- If you reply to a message from me and quote my message, pare down the quoted part so as to leave just enough to indicate the original context.
(Thanks to Prof. Michael Leddy for suggesting these guidelines on his blog, where he also discusses further e-mail etiquette.)