Science Education Online
Master of Education (M.Ed.) Education Specialist Degree (Ed.S.)
UMass Program Partners:
Teacher Education & Curriculum Studies Dept.; College of Education; College of Natural Sciences; Nutrition Department
SEO key elements:
• Integrates effective teaching strategies that elementary and middle school teachers can apply right away in their classrooms.
▪ 100% online.
▪ Taught by science and education faculty who care about teachers and are experienced teacher educators.
▪ Courses are presented with an adult audience in mind and cover content from the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS Lead States, 2013), K-8 National Science Education Standards (National Research Council, 1996) and the Massachusetts Science and Technology Frameworks (MA DOE, 2006).
▪ Courses are taught with the same inquiry-based, hands-on pedagogy that teachers use in their classrooms as outlined in the National Science Education Standards (NRC, 1996), the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS Lead States, 2013), and the Massachusetts Science and Technology Frameworks (2006). For inquiry activities, teachers use kits of materials that can be purchased online.
▪ Teachers engage in dialogue with their peers and faculty about results of their inquiries, and share data, findings and questions.
Leads to Professional Licensure for Teachers in Massachusetts in the following areas:
Teachers of General Science: Grades 5-8
Elementary Teachers: Grades 1-6
Program Website: http://www.umass.edu/seo