General GWIS membership
- GWIS events and programs are open to all graduate students and post-docs.
- If you would like to receive e-mails from GWIS about events and all-member news, please complete this form.
Join one of our six committees!
Any UMass graduate student or post-doc pursuing a STEM field can volunteer for any GWIS committee ANYTIME. Send an e-mail to the current chair(s) of the committee(s) you’re interested in, or firstname.lastname@example.org, if you’re interested!
Time commitment for a committee volunteer: low
- About one committee meeting per month (1 hour long)
- Be involved as much as you would like in planning or volunteering at programming and events!
- Get creative! Write, edit, or create artwork for GWIS Quarterly Magazine (GQM)
- Plan and execute communication skills-focused events, like our improv workshop or book club
- Help with creating and maintaining our social media presence
Finance and Administration committee:
- Get valuable grant writing experience writing grants for exciting GWIS programming
- Propose methods of fundraising
- Help to maintain our accounting records and funds from sponsor organizations and grants
- Create new ideas and collaborative efforts for outreach on and off campus
- Develop STEM workshops for young girls that nurture their interest in STEM
- Conceptualize, organize, and execute workshops, networking events and seminars for GWIS
- Work collaboratively with other groups on campus to co-sponsor programming
- Organize and maintain graduate student peer mentoring groups, a very popular program
- Plan faculty/graduate student luncheons twice a semester and during the summer
- Participate in and help plan undergraduate/graduate mentoring events and programming
Diversity and Inclusion committee:
- This new committee aims to address needs of International Students, Students of Color, Student Parents, and Queer students specifically, as well as anybody who experiences marginalization along intersections of many identities.