- Advocacy Committee Chair
- Diversity and Inclusion Committee Chair
- Communications Committee Chair
- Finance and Administration Committee Chair
- Mentoring Committee Chair
- Outreach Committee Chair
Learn more about the roles of each committee in our constitution, or reach out to our current committee chairs.
General duties for all committee chairs:
- Serve as the head of their committee
- Call monthly meetings of their committee
- Oversee programming hosted by their committee
- Attend monthly Executive Board meetings
- Assist with organizing all-member events (one per semester), annual GWIS elections, and the annual Executive Board retreat.
- Attend GWIS all-member events (one per semester)
- Attend other committees’ programming events occasionally, when possible
Time commitment for committee chairs:
- Attend one Executive Board meeting per month (1 hour long)
- Hold committee meetings about once per month (about 1 hour long)
- Oversee one exciting GWIS event per month (about 1 hour long)
- Attend one all-member event per semester (1-2 hours long)
- 1-2 hours per week outside of meetings and events, for planning and advertising
Read more about committee chair duties in our constitution.
Want to get more involved, but not as an elected committee chair? Learn about becoming a committee member here.
Each year, we vote on all committee chair positions, who also form our Executive Board.
Elections for AY2020-2021 were held in March 2020. Please welcome our new committee chairs:
- Carey Dougan, Advocacy
- Laura Fattaruso & Stephanie Le, Communications
- Kimberly Acevedo, Diversity & Inclusion
- Kaitlyn Che, Finance & Administration
- Merritt Harlan & Xuyen Mai, Mentoring
- Bridget Benner & Hannah Wharton, Outreach
Candidate platforms for AY 2020-2021: available here
Election timeline for AY 2020-2021:
By March 16 at 10:00pm ET: nominate yourself or others using nomination form (sent to GWIS members via email)
By March 18 at 10:00pm ET: all candidates must submit a platform using same nomination form (sent to GWIS members via email)
March 24 to April 1 at 10:00pm ET: ranked-choice voting occurs online (voting form will be sent to GWIS members via email)
Rules for nominating yourself or others:
- Please submit the nomination form multiple times for multiple nominations.
- You can nominate yourself or another GWIS member. If you self-nominate, you must submit a platform using the nomination form. If someone else nominates you, you will receive an email asking to submit a platform on that form (if you accept).
- Committee chair positions may be shared by two people as co-chairs. Co-chairs will be listed together on the voting ballot and should submit a single platform.
- Committee chairs from previous years may run for re-election, but are still required to submit platforms.
- No Executive Board member may hold more than one position on the board per term (e.g., an AY20-21 Outreach chair may not also be an AY20-21 Mentoring chair).
Please see our constitution for more detailed information about election procedures.