Up-to-Date is a database of evidence-based medical treatment guidelines, calculators, drug interactions and patient information sheets. You can browse by topic or search by keyword. Articles and information sheets are written by doctors.
If you’d like assistance using this source, Ask Us!
The Libraries have purchased backfiles and current access to the following new databases available on the Web of Knowledge platform from Thomson:
- BIOSIS Citation Index, 1969-present, read about it;
- Book Citation Indexes, 2005-present, read about it;
- Current Chemical Reactions, read about it;
- Current Contents Connect, read about it;
- Data Citation Index, 1990-present, read about it;
- Derwent Innovations Index, 1963-present, read about it;
- Index Chemicus, read about it; and
- Zoological Records, 1978-present, read about it.
Subject coverage of these databases covers the humanities, sciences and social sciences, and they complement our existing Web of Science core resources.
Please contact a reference librarian if you have questions about any of these new sources.
The Libraries now have a trial for CAB e-books published by CABI since 2000. The entire CAB collection includes over 500 titles covering the applied life sciences, with collections of titles in agriculture; animal and veterinary science; environmental life sciences; human health, food and nutrition; leisure and tourism; and plant sciences.
The trial goes through June 15th. Contact Naka Ishii, ISEL Reference Librarian, at 413-545-1656 with questions or comments.
The Libraries has upgraded its subscription to SPORTDiscus to included the full-text of its contents. Full-text coverage of 550 sports and sports medicine journals goes back to 1985.
Contact Jim Craig, Health Sciences and Kinesiology Liaison Librarian, at 413-545-6690 for assistance with this resource.
JoVE offers video clips of biological research. The journal entries are peer-reviewed, and you can search or browse for video articles by subject (neuroscience, developmental biology, cellular biology, microbiology, plant biology, basic protocols and immunology), keyword, or issue.
The trial is in effect through July 23rd, 2009. If you have questions or comments, contact Maxine Schmidt, Biology Liaison Librarian, at 413-545-6739.
The National Academy of Sciences Biographical Memoirs provides brief biographies of deceased members of the National Academy of Science, written by people who best knew their work. “These biographies provide a personal and scholarly view of the lives and work of America’s most distinguished scientists and a biographical history of science in the United States.”
The Libraries now provide deeper archival access to the following American Medical Association titles:
- Archives of Family Medicine, 1992-2000
- Archives of Neurology, 1959 –
- Archives of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, 1925-
- Archives of Surgery, 1925-
- Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 1833 – , with some issue gaps in the 1990’s
You may retrieve these journals through the UMass Amherst library catalog or the E-Journal List. More content is yet to come as the AMA’s digitization project continues.
We have recently activated the following 31 English titles published by Thieme. You may retrieve these journals through the UMass Amherst library catalog or the E-Journal List.
English language titles:
- American Journal of Perinatology, 2000-
- Central European Neurosurgery (Formerly, Zentralblatt für Neurochirurgie), 2000-
- Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2001-
- Endoscopy, 2000-
- European Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 2000-
- Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes, 2000-
- Facial Plastic Surgery, 2000-
- Homoeopathic Links, 2005-
- Hormone and Metabolic Research, 2001-
- International Journal of Sports Medicine, 2000-
- Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, 2000-
- min – Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, 2000-
- Neuropediatrics, 2000-
- Orthopedic Trauma Directions, 2004-
- Osteosynthesis & trauma care, 2002-
- Pharmacopsychiatry, 2000-
- Planta Medica, 2000-
- Seminars in Hearing, 2000-
- Seminars in Interventional Radiology, 2000-
- Seminars in Liver Disease, 2000-
- Seminars in Musculoskeletal Radiology, 2000-
- Seminars in Neurology, 2000-
- Seminars in Plastic Surgery, 2002-
- Seminars in Reproductive Medicine, 2000-
- Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 2000-
- Seminars in Speech and Language, 2000-
- Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis, 2000-
- Skull Base : An Interdisciplinary Approach, 2000-
- Synfacts, 2005-
- Synlett, 2008-
- Synthesis, 2008-
- The Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon, 2000-
The package also includes 71 German language titles. If you would like to know the specific German language titles, please contact electronic resources staff.
Bentham Science Publishers is offering trial access to its electronic journals and patent information through BenthamDirect. Access to this trial continues through October 20th, 2008. Provide comments through your subject librarian.
The Libraries have arranged for a trial period of the Henry Stewart Talks – Biomedical and Life Sciences Collection through June 30th, 2008. The Biomedical & Life Sciences Collection contains over 700 online audio-visual seminar-style talks by leading scientists. They are organized into 30 comprehensive series.
To offer feedback on this resource, please contact Cecilia Mullen (577-1534).