Welcome! We conduct research using interdisciplinary approaches to understand the complex engineered, environmental, and human systems to enable the provision of safe, reliable, and sustainable drinking water and sanitation services.
We are currently looking for 1-2 UMass undergraduates researchers for a research position on water treatment (must be current UMass undergraduate student)
Job Opening: Literature identification and review,survey setup and outreach, interview data collection and coding, data cleaning, information management
What it is: The Kumpel Lab in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) is seeking an undergraduate to assist faculty and researchers with identifying, sorting, cataloging, and reviewing literature on home water treatment and drinking water quality in the US; setting up and administering an online survey, semi-structured interview data collection and coding, and/or data cleaning and information management. This work will contribute to a state of the science review paper focused on summarizing the current science on water treatment technology and implementation, the future of potable water quality challenges in the US, and identification of research gaps.
Status: Accepting Applications
Application Form: https://forms.gle/WX1nywXoWWERvjtJ7
- Paper Published! A Critical Review of the Global Use and Context of Trucked Water as a Potable Water Supply (Summer 2023)
- Paper Published: “Effective first flush volumes in experimental household-scale rainwater catchment systems” (Summer 2023)
- Is UMass right for me? Experiences of Postdoctoral Researcher Nelson da Luz (Winter 2023)
- Kumpel Lab Group Presents at UNC Water and Health (Fall 2022)
- Interview with Graduate Student – Amanda Carneiro Marques (Fall 2022)