The University of Massachusetts Amherst
Categories
Wolff

Wolff: Why Americans are slow to mobilize

Rick Wolff

Richard Wolff, UMass Amherst economics professor emeritus, is interviewed by RT News.  He gives his view as to why the people of Europe are fighting to save their cultures from massive austerity being forced on them by private financial interests and their lackeys in government. He also discusses why Americans are not seeking the same relief as they face the same problems.  Watch the interview.

2 replies on “Wolff: Why Americans are slow to mobilize”

I hear a lot of crap from politicians about the effects of higher taxes, lower taxes and all sorts of economic plans. What I don’t see are numbers I can believe. I suggest the following as a UMass Economics Dept Senior project or maybe a thesis:

Model the effects of several tax structures. This would not be a Monte Carlo model but rather a game where the rules are set by the nature of the tax code and other financial realities. The students would play with in the rules with the object of making the most money. Such things as effect on the national Gini index and our ability to support the world wide activities we have. Perhaps these activities would be a parameter of the game.

This idea seems so simple and useful that I am at a loss to understand why it hasn’t been done before. My answer is that it probably has been done and I am not aware of the results. If you know of such results could you point me to them.

About me:
I write to UMass as my daughter is a dual major graduate in Physics and Math…and has a job where “want fires with that” is not part of her professional vernacular. I have a PhD in Physics and am busy starting a company with 6 of my friends. We have bookings for $2Meg over the next year + so we are about to turn the corner.