Technology in the classroom

So, I’m currently introducing cloud technology and geometry software into my classroom. Following the state common core standard of using technology to make geometric constructions, I have decided to use geogebra software this week to teach the students about parallel lines and angle pair relationships. I had blocked off two days with the computers to do this. In addition to using the software the school has set up all students with Google accounts so we may share files through Google Drive.

First, we had to set up the google drive accounts, then link the accounts with Geogebra’s chrome app. With the various levels of technology exposure and some students not yet setting up their accounts, we experienced much frustration and time consumption not learning anything related to Math. But, in the end, we persevered and got to the geometry program.

Next, we started using Geogebra’s graphical tools to make parallel lines and angles. Again, this led to much frustration and time consumption as students learned to navigate the environment. In the end, I believe students reached the learning outcome. I’ll know later this week with added assessment.

Many students were frustrated using this approach to learning. I tried to emphasize that cloud computing, computer based collaboration, and exploration is where commerce and education is moving towards and will be a part of a successful career. Also, I hope that with this trial and error and self learning, students will have greater retention than with traditional lecture methods. I just hope the learning doesn’t get lost in the frustration of learning the software.

Also, I hope the time used in this experiment is worth it, it took 3 class periods to finish. I could have taught this lesson in just one class period using other methods (such as patty paper geometry or lecture/discussion). I will continue teaching through Geogebra throughout the semester and hope that students will enjoy this more once the initial learning period is completed. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will continue to discuss our progress in this endeavour.

Here is a copy of the instructions I gave my students:
Parallel lines exploration