57 Suffolk Street
Holyoke, MA 01040 (Admin only)
Phone: (413) 534-2000
Fax: (413) 534-3730
The mission of the Holyoke Public Schools Special Education Department is to promote and provide standards of excellence where all students can achieve. They are committed to identifying students who meet federal and state criteria as a student with a disability. In order to foster and service students with diverse needs the department is cooperatively working with involved families, dedicated teachers, and other caring professional colleagues to enhance individual student strengths and abilities.
Location(s) of internship sites: Holyoke, Massachusetts
Accessible by Public Transportation? – School locations vary – some are accessible via PVTA, but it is recommended that an intern has a car.
General job description of what an intern might do:
The focus of this internship is to expose interns to special education, typically within substantially separate environments. Holyoke offers SHINE, RISE, and Autism RISE programs designed to support school-aged individuals with specific needs and ensure that they are able to access an individualized curriculum. Possible job responsibilities may include:
- Observe teachers and related service personnel (Speech, OT, PT and vision specialists) working with students within their academic environment
- Assist in the development of academic materials.
- Assist teachers with individual, small, and large group activities.
- Learn about adapted supports, augmentative communication, and assistive technology.
- Participate in trainings and meetings (if appropriate).
- Review charts and other material relevant to student management.
- Participate in a Summer Program (for summer interns only).
Your availability: Interns MUST complete a CORI at 57 Suffolk St. prior to starting their internship. Hours are between 8-3, but may vary depending on the assigned school. Call or email Carol Hepworth and she will assign you to a Teacher Supervisor.
Carol Hepworth, Director of Special Education