Students are expected to complete several assignments throughout the semester they are on internship. These assignments should be submitted through the DDHS Program Moodle page. All assignments must be submitted by the last day of classes or you will receive an Incomplete grade.
A) Weekly Internship Activities and Reflections Report
B) A timesheet
C) A final reflection paper
4) The Internship Evaluation Form
Weekly Internship Activities and Reflections Report
Each week, you will respond to the following prompts:
- Provide a description of your activities this week
- Describe in some detail two events you observed this week that made a strong impression (positive or negative) on you
- Provide a brief summary of the content of your supervisory or in-service training activities this week, if any; include any information or ad hoc supervision, as well as formal supervision, in your description
- Make a bullet list of lessons you learned in your internship this week (including lessons you learned about yourself)
- Note two questions raised for you by your internship experience this week
- Using APA format, provide the citation for one recent empirical article you read this week that is relevant to your internship work or site. Using your own words, and in a form that could be given to the paid staff at your site, write a brief statement of the “take home message” from the article and your explanation of how that message related to your site.
You should only complete the journal every 2 weeks for a 2-credit internship and every 3 weeks for a 1-credit internship. A Google doc template for your journals will be shared with your UMass email address. Please update this journal regularly. You do not need to submit the journal on Moodle.
Use the internship timesheet provided by Career Services. You must submit your completed time sheet through Moodle by the last day of classes in the semester you are completing your internship. Career Services will also request a copy of the timesheet.
Final Reflection Paper
The final paper is a synthesis of “What I Learned from My Internship”. It is intended to help you integrate what you have learned during the program up until this point. In the paper, draw connections between DDHS or related coursework with your practical experiences. This paper is expected to be 5-7 pages, double spaced. You only need to submit one final paper for the DDHS program. If you plan to complete multiple internships, or complete one internship across multiple semesters, you should wait until you are done with all of your internship experience to write the paper.
The Internship Evaluation Form
At the end of the semester, you will complete an evaluation of your internship site. This survey will not be shared with your internship supervisor. With your permission, your responses will be shared anonymously with other DDHS students through the Moodle page (not accessible by the general public). This evaluation is due by the last day of classes in the semester of your internship.
Internships are graded as pass/fail. If you do not submit the required assignments or hours on time, you will receive an Incomplete grade. This grade will turn to a fail after a period of time (1 year).