NFL and Globalization

I know Mondays are supposed to be an alumni/faculty spotlight here at the UMass sport blog but I wanted to put that on hold to talk about what I feel is a pretty important topic. Yesterday I watched the annual NFL London game and I had tons of different thoughts going through my head. I was primarily upset that the Patriots had beat my Titans so badly the week before, but thankful they didn’t do it in front of an international audience. Mostly I thought about how far American Football has expanded outside the US border.
Like it or not, and this is my opinion, but Football is America’s game, not baseball or basketball. Football rules the American sports arena in fans, tv ratings, and most importantly, TV money. But one area that the NFL has failed to capture as well as the other markets, is the international market. Sure everyone watches the Super Bowl, but really only for the spectacle that is the ultimate in American indulgence. Throuhgout the 80’s and 90’s, the NFL enjoyed so much success that it didn’t really need to worry about the international market. But with changes in technology has come changes in the way sport leagues need to attack fans. The US market became saturated with everything football. The NFL created its own TV network, and I can watch NFL games anytime I want to.

The NFL had tried expanding outside the US with the occasional international (usually Mexico) preseason game and the now defunct NFL Europe, but by and large the international community has been completely uninterested in American football. Perhaps it is the cultural differences, or maybe people see football as the ultimate American sport and fot that they disapprove. But whatever the reasons, it seems the international sport fan has shunned American football much the same way we have shunned soccer.

But in watching yeserdays game, I am seeing things a bit differently. The NFL seems to have taken a slow, but steady approach to building the following of American Football abroad. With programs aimed at educating international fans (nflatino.com, etc.) the NFL may actually be able to chip away at the international market that the other American Sports Leagues have already attacked. Only time will tell…