- Richard Smith. Capitalism and the destruction of life on Earth: Six theses on saving the humans. Real World Economics Review, 2013. pp. 125-142, 144-150 (pdf 1-18, 20-26).
- Students around the world go on climate strike. Guardian March 15, 2019 [1.51]
- Students across the globe to skip school for climate change strike. CBS This Morning. CBS This Morning. Mar 14, 2019 [3.58]
- “Change Is Closer Than We Think.’ Inside Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Unlikely Rise. Charlotte Alter, Time. March 21, 2019.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Explains Why The Green New Deal Is About More Than Climate. MSNBC, March 29, 2019. [15.37]
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Bringing Moral Courage to American Politics. The Daily Show. July 29, 2018. [14.55]
Response questions – written response required
- For the Richard Smith article about capitalism and climate crisis (#1), summarize his discussion of the problem, its causes, and alternatives in terms of values and social-political practices. Include one sequence – a sentence or several – that conveys a meaning that seems particularly significant.
- What are your responses to the mobilizations against climate crisis by high school youth around the world and Alexandria-Ocasio Cortex (AOC) in her advocacy of a Green New Deal? Here’s some specific prompts to which you might respond:
- What are these youth saying? What’s their distinctive societal force?
- How to explain the rapid spread of the high school student climate strikes?
- How to explain the viral appeal of AOC and the political ideas she articulates including the Green New Deal and democratic socialism?
Written assignments should be single-spaced & typed in Times New Roman or Arial (size 12 font), 1-inch margins all around. PROOFREAD! Include a heading (single-spaced) with name, date, and assignment title.