NOTE: These readings on rape culture may be triggering for some people. It is challenging to address these issues in a classroom. This challenge will be a part of our conversation. (11.29.19)
- Katie Shea. The News Media’s Role in Reinforcing Rape Culture Final Podcast Script. RAPE CULTURE blog. December 20, 2017.
- Hayley Solomon. TAKING INITIATIVE AGAINST THE SYSTEM. #METOOUMASS. November 13,2018.
- Jackson Katz. MEF documentary trailer: THE BYSTANDER MOMENT. (2018)
4. Class 22 response note excerpts on the video: The Bystander Moment: Transforming Rape Culture at Its Roots. Apr 16, 2019.
5. Katie Lannan. Legislature Urged to Act Against Campus Sexual Assaults. State House News Service, The Herald News, Apr 10, 2019.
6. Alexis Okeowo. Radical Care: the organizers fighting for abortion access across the South. New Yorker, Oct 14, 2019.
Reading questions — written response required
- Your general responses to these readings? You might reference personal experiences/observations of male toxicity, rape culture, and being a bystander.
- For reading #6 on organizing for abortion access in southern states, what are your understandings of the institutional and cultural means by which a white, male power structure has come to systematically deny abortion to low-income women? Of the history of women’s right to choice? Forms of activist resistance?
Written assignments are single-spaced & typed in Times New Roman or Arial (size 12 font), 1-inch margins all around. Remember to proofread. Include a heading (single-spaced) that includes name, date, assignment title. Turn in as a paper document.