READING QUESTIONS — WRITTEN RESPONSES REQUIRED — no longer than one page
- What’s the story told by these videos and readings on the Nike Kaepernick ad? What are the forces at play? Your thoughts?
- What’s the relationship between this story and the story about structural racism told by Michelle Alexander that she calls “The New Jim Crow”?
- Nike Published on Sep 5, 2018
- Martin Pengelly. Nike sales surge 31% in days after Colin Kaepernick ad unveiled. Guardian, September 8. 2018.
- The impact of Nike’s Colin Kaepernick “Just Do It” ad. CBS News Published on Sep 4, 2018
- Jame Coaston. Nike has made billions selling rebellion to young people. Vox, September 6, 2018.
- Who benefits more for ad: Colin Kaepernick or Nike? ESPN Published Sep 7, 2018
- View Michelle Alexander and the New Jim Crow, Democracy Now interview. Do written response for reading questions posted for this interview.
Writing formatting guidelines: Written assignments should single-spaced & typed in Times New Roman or Arial (size 12 font) with 1-inch margins all around. Remember to proofread. First page should have a heading (single-spaced) at top of page that includes name, date, and title of assignment.