Visually map the sports power structure (matrix), drawn from the readings and your lived experience.
- On a separate Google doc, list some key elements of this structure including institutions and culture (beliefs, values, norms, images of the ideal). These levels draw from the Oppression Matrix and the Iceberg Model.
- In doing this listing, reread your class 4/5 reading response notes to identify key issues/institutions/patterns/information you wrote about that could be marked in this power structure mapping. You might copy and paste these onto this document to have language to work with.
- Trace links between institutions and culture, e.g. normalization of “hegemonic masculinity” required by pro football.
- You might draw on whatever else you observe and experience as to how this sports power matrix works.
- This includes your experiences of sports (institutions/culture) in your socialization/schooling. How do your individual experiences connect with wider institutional-cultural-systemic forces?
- Don’t try to cover everything, but focus on mapping forces, connections, and meanings that seem particularly important for you.
- Do it by hand on an 8.5×11 paper — or larger if you wish.
- Consider using colors (markers, crayons, colored pencils) & drawing simple images.
- At varied points on the map, include some written text that makes links between institutional power and cultural patterns.
- Bring paper copy to class.
- Take a digital photo and insert in your Google doc entry for this assignment.
- Use your imagination. There is no one way to do it. You might start by drawing one or several images and use lines and arrows to mark out connections and meanings to each other and other parts of the matrix. The Mind Mapping diagram below offers some guidelines on how do that model. See this blog for varied Mind Mapping examples. Or perhaps you have other ideas.
Post to your rolling Google doc with date, assignment title; send link. Single-spaced & typed in Times New Roman or Arial (size 12 font), 1-inch margins. Insert horizontal line between assignments. Remember to proofread.