Build on your response to class 3 assignment question 2 through illustration brainstorming:
- From your life experience (past/present), write a 1-paragraph story that illustrates ways in which (capitalist) class inequities intersect with the entertainment industries.
- draw from your lived experiences: directly and/or what you’ve observed
- might cover family conflicts, peer pressure, economic inclusion/exclusion, financial stress
- could critique pop culture trends, EI products and representations (cable series, video games, influencers); but must somehow connect to your lived experience
- Brainstorm ways to illustrate this using simple DIY means: pencil, doodles, crayons, markers, digital tools, what else? Write a sentence or two with these ideas. Some options:
- Collage, meme, cartoons, graphic novels, storyboards, stick figures
- Short form video (Tik Tok)
- Subversion, mash-up of existing media text, inserting your story in a popular media series/genre, e.g. sports interview, reality TV, what else?
- Poetry, spoken-word art, rap
3. Find one text (image, artifact, smart phone photo) that somehow stands for your story. Consider this a first stage illustration where you might creatively lay out sections from your story in relation to the illustrative text. For next class, ONLY INCLUDE THE TEXT-IMAGE on your Google doc beside your 1-paragraph story. You’re not expected to do any creative layout yet — unless you want to play around.