These three documentaries present a critical look at Nike; while there’s some overlap, each presents a distinct angle. The 2017 article updates activist challenges made to Nike’s global labor practices.
READING QUESTIONS — WRITTEN RESPONSES REQUIRED — no longer than one page
- How does the information in these videos and article add to our discussion of the story told about the Nike-Kaepernick ad? Your thoughts.
- What are your experiences with and observations of ways in which you/th identify with product brands like Nike? Are there any to which you have a particular affinity? How to explain?
- Branded: Phil Knight Nike Documentary. BBC2, 1996 [38.45] DOWNLOAD ZIPDRIVE TO VIEW
- Jim Keady. Nike Sweatshops: Behind the Swoosh. 2001. [20.29]
- Elizabeth Segran. Escalating Sweatshop Protests Keep Nike Sweating. Fast Company, July 28, 2017
- SOS Pictures. Soled Out. 2005 [14.13]
Writing formatting guidelines: Written assignments should single-spaced & typed in Times New Roman or Arial (size 12 font) with 1-inch margins all around. Remember to proofread. First page should have a heading (single-spaced) at top of page that includes name, date, and title of assignment.