This assignment has two parts:
1.) Readings introduce contrasting perspectives on the role of government in promoting the common good: neoliberalism vs. the New Deal, aka a mixed economy. The conflict between these ideologies helps to understand why the U.S. power structure abstains from regulating the entertainment industries for the common good.
2.) Brainstorm ideas for reshaping an entertainment industry based on principles of economic democracy.
- Noam Chomsky Interview: Ventilator Shortage Exposes the Cruelty of Neoliberal Capitalism. Truthout, April 1, 2020.
- Read Principles of Neoliberalism and watch video. https://blogs.umass.edu/comm397ss-jsaxe/neoliberalism-definitions/
- View FDR’s Second Bill of Rights speech.
————————————————————————————————————————————- Brainstorming journal notes — written response required.
From a youth POV, select a particular entertainment industry (including social media) you think needs to be changed, e.g. FB, Amazon, Netflix, sports, fashion, fast food, etc.
Discuss on two levels:
- Benefits and disadvantages of democratizing this industry for the common good.
- Apply the models of cooperatives and co-determination to envision how to re-organize these industries towards a horizontal rather than hierarchical model of power.
- Begin with a grassroots, decentralized perspective.
- Consider how existing local and regional institutions, e.g. schools, city government, sports teams, might serve as the basis for democratic governance.
START these journal notes WITH STRONG OPENING SENTENCE and follow-through sentence(s) that gives the reader a strong preview of your discussion.
NOTE: Submit your response notes to instructor as a Google doc via email: email@example.com