To begin addressing the question #1 topic in your class 9 response on “what to study”, survey the web to see varied ways it is represented.
Find five (5) quality sources.
- Two articles from New York Times (legacy media). Need to enroll in NYT free membership for UMass students: https://blogs.umass.edu/comm397ss-jsaxe/class-enroll-nyt/
- One article from a specialty publication that somehow relates to your issue, e.g. WIRED, Variety, Teen/Vogue, ESPN, what else?
- Two from social media: written text and/or visual, e.g. Twitter, Instagram,TikTok.
2. Annotate these sources.
- Write a two to three sentence summary.
- Start with a strong opening sentence.
- Do you best to avoid: “This article is about…” Rather state a central idea,e.g. “TikTok has become the source of news and local entertainment-hospitality reviews for youth, a most coveted consumer demographic.”
- Include some particularly useful information: facts, theory, history, graphs, etc.
- Write another sentence or more on how you see this as relevant to the YDEI power matrix.
- For each source, follow annotation guidelines for online sources. https://blogs.umass.edu/comm397ss-jsaxe/annotation-guidelines/
- Write in your words. Don’t copy & paste, i.e. plagiarize.
3. Write a one-paragraph summary of what you’ve found: your thoughts, questions, and possible follow-up directions.
POST TO YOUR GOOGLE DOC. INCLUDE ASSIGNMENT DATE AND TITLE AT TOP. Send link to instructor: firstname.lastname@example.org