1. Assess the kinds of critiques offered by media reviewers – nature of online discourse
- Established media critics: Upon what basis are shows evaluated? What concerns and issues are raised?
- Fan discourses – what are the pleasures
- Critical resistance? Challenges to mainstream representation?
2. Analyze narrative meanings (also characters, settings)
- In what ways does the narrative reflect dominant discourses – beliefs, values, myths, worldview?
- Conversely, in what ways (if any) does it interrupt, resist?
- What stories aren’t told?
3. Formulate alternatives
- What stories do you want to tell?
- How might you shift the narrative? Mobilize critical viewer response?