- MUS 563, 1 credit; fulfills ensemble requirement for music majors and minors
- Meets MWF from 2:30-4:10 pm. In-person, fall 2020. This ensemble will rehearse outside in a covered location on campus.
- Size: 16-24 singers
- Conductor: Dr. Tony Thornton
- Performances: TBD
- Ability to learn music quickly is essential
- Enrollment is by audition only. This ensemble is ideal for those who were members of a high school or collegiate select ensemble and/or were selected as an all-state or honor choir singer.
- This distinguished ensemble celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2018-19.
The Chamber Choir is the premier choral ensemble in the Department of Music & Dance. The ensemble is composed of undergraduate and graduate music majors, minors, and non-majors with previous choral experience. Chamber Choir performs significant choral works from all style periods, including masterworks with orchestral accompaniment. The ability to read music or to learn music quickly is essential.
The ensemble received an invitation to perform at the American Choral Directors Association Eastern Division Conference in Baltimore in February of 2014. Chamber Choir toured internationally (Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, and Prague) in May of 2013 and Italy (Rome, Venice, Spoleto, and Florence) in May of 2015. Chamber Choir was the Chorus-in-Residence at the Brescia (Italy) International Early Music Summer School & Festival in July of 2017. During the 40th Anniversary year, the ensemble performed Brahms’ Nänie with the the UMass Symphony Orchestra, Bach’s St. Matthew Passion with the UMass Bach Festival Orchestra, and Mahler’s Symphony No. 2 “Resurrection” with the Springfield Symphony Orchestra & Chorus.