If you really enjoy singing and singing in choirs, consider joining one of the University’s choral ensembles. Choral singing is a series of enjoyments, an activity that makes your learning more effective and one you can enjoy for a lifetime. The UMass choirs are open to any student interested in collegiate-level choral music, regardless of major. All offer one hour of credit.
Entrance to all the groups is by a Choral Placement Hearing, which is brief and painless. Read the directions below carefully to sign up for a placement audition for fall of 2019. Auditions will take place during the first week of classes (September 3-6, 2019). NOTE: Ensemble rehearsals will begin on Monday, September 9.
1) Read about our choral ensembles to see which might be the right fit for you and your schedule. NOTE: We will try to accommodate schedules, but you will be placed in the most appropriate ensemble based upon the placement hearing.
2) Arrive at least 5-10 minutes early to your hearing. You will need to complete a short form prior to meeting with Drs. Thornton and Paparo.
3) There is no preparation necessary for those interested in University Chorale or Women’s Choir. Just show up at your chosen time and we will have you sing scales to determine range and color, demonstrate tonal memory (a pattern will be played on the piano and you sing it back on “La”), clap rhythms, and sight-read a short melody.
4) For those interested in auditioning for Chamber Choir: Singers interested in this ensemble should audition no later than Thursday, September 5. An excerpt will be placed online two weeks before auditions begin. You must prepare your voice part of this excerpt to sing at the audition. Any singer who is unprepared will not be considered for Chamber Choir. Advanced freshmen singers (majors and non-majors) are eligible to audition. Callbacks will be held on Friday, September 6, from 2:30-4:10 PM. Those singers receiving a callback must be available for the final audition on this date.
5) Sign up for an audition time below. Please put the date and time in your calendar. We will not re-confirm this appointment. Auditions will take place in the Fine Arts Center in room 253 – Dr. Thornton’s office.
We look forward to meeting you and hearing you sing!
Sign up for a placement hearing below. Times will be added as necessary, so check back if all spaces are filled.
Friday, September 6, 2019
11:00 AM-12:30 PM