The Committee

The BRiDGE Coordinating Committee is composed of Nigel Golden, Nadia Fernandez, Elsa Cousins, Brooke Burrows, RoseAnn Vik and Mariela Garcia Arredondo. BRiDGE logos and graphics were designed by Lian Guo.

BRIDGE is supported by the Campus Climate Improvement Grant, Office of Professional Development, Office of the Associate Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion, the College of Natural Science, the School of Earth and Sustainability, and the NSF Graduate Fellowship Learning Community.

Nigel Golden (he/him)
Environmental Conservation

I seek to understand how environmental changes will impact arctic adapted-species like the Arctic Ground Squirrel (Urocitellus parryii) and develop models that will predict shifts in their abundance and distribution.

Mariela Garcia Arredondo (she/her)
Environmental Conservation

I use field observations, synchrotron spectroscopy, and laboratory investigations to understand how root weathering affects carbon loss and accrual in soils.

Nadia Fernandez
Environmental Conservation

My research applies genomic tools to understand populations of wildlife species. I study the Golden Dorado (Salminus brasiliensis), using genomic approaches to investigate their contemporary and historical population structure.

Brooke Burrows
Social Psychology – Psychology of Peace and Violence Program

I study how different modes of communication influence individual, group, and societal-level change within both collective action and conflict reconciliation processes.

Elsa Cousins (she/her)
Organismic & Evolutionary Biology

I study the interaction of plants and global change, particularly the evolution of defense chemicals at the edges of non-native plant range expansion.

RoseAnn Vik
Microbiology

I study Chlamydia & 'Chlamydia like organisms' - specifically their role in the progression of epitheliocystis disease in marine and freshwater fish - to better understand the vast health, economic and societal impacts that this incredible group of microbial pathogens are implicated in.

Katherine Chacon-Vargas
Molecular and Cellular Biology, Food Science

I study domestication and evolution of microbes associated with food systems, using comparative genomics and bioinformatics to assess taxonomic and functional changes in the microbial community.

Care Anderson (they/them)
Environmental Conservation

I study how soil carbon and minerals interact in floodplain ecosystems that experience drastic floods and droughts, which will help us predict whether soils will store or release carbon under climate change.

Sarah McCormick
Psychological & Brain Sciences – Developmental Science

I study how family systems and context promote or inhibit early social-cognitive development.

Sungha Kang
Psychological & Brain Sciences – Clinical Psychology

I study the ways that the assessment and diagnosis of ADHD in early childhood vary as a function of family factors, specifically culture and race, and other contextual factors that influence externalizing behaviors including parenting and schools.

Nikki Lee
Neuroscience and Behavior

I study hormones and social behavior in rodents. In particular, I am interested in the neural mechanisms that mediate behavioral differences between closely related social and non-social species.

LeAnn Zuñiga (they/them)
Geosciences

My research investigates the sourcing and transport of dissolved manganese in Massachusetts groundwaters to better understand the presence of manganese in glacial aquifer systems.

Kadambari Devarajan (she/her)
Organismic & Evolutionary Biology

I study the community dynamics of vertebrates at different spatial and temporal scales using fieldwork, theory, and quantitative methods with a focus on mammalian carnivores.

Alam García-Heredia
Molecular and Cellular Biology

I investigate how mycobacteria, an important and unique group of bacteria, make, edit and coordinate the synthesis of their cell envelope.

Tatjana Washington
Environmental Conservation

I am interested about how anthropogenic influences on climate change affects urban bird physiology.

Meghna N. Marjadi
Organismic & Evolutionary Biology

I study how anadromous fish populations (fishes that live in the ocean and spawn in freshwater) may respond to changes in climate as a result of changes to their migration and reproductive patterns. Learning more about this will help us better understand how fisheries and the people who rely on them for food, jobs, and community can adjust as our world changes.

Hannah Baranes
Geosciences

I study coastal flooding and erosion hazards, and my projects have ranged from developing statistical techniques to model flood hazard in regions with large tides, to investigating mechanisms of sediment delivery to New England salt marshes.

Cierra Abellera
Psychological & Brain Sciences

I study how people navigate new contexts and relationships and the process of acculturation and host community attitudes among resettled communities of refugee populations.

Wayne Barnaby
Neuroscience and Behavior

I study the neural underpinnings of locomotion and how genetic disruption leads to motor and locomotor disorders.

Arthur Siller (they/them)
Plant and Soil Sciences

Applied research in agronomy focusing on grazing and cover crops.

Erin Patterson
Plant Biology

My research examines the evolution and development of specialized plant tissues in the grasses.

Jasmine Dixon
Psychological & Brain Sciences - Clinical Psychology

My research is in the psychosocial and contextual factors (e.g., chronic stress) that affect risk of cognitive decline and dementia for racial/ethnic minority populations, with an emphasis in Black populations.

Jordan Allen
Geosciences

My research is working towards understanding the controls on the production of N2 and N2O gas in subsurface shale environments.

Kinjal Manish Desai
Landscape Architecture & Regional Planning

As an architect and landscape architect, I want to build designs that entails and celebrates diverse cultures and communities; And as a tech savvy person, I am researching the role of AR and VR in the field of Design.

Carolina Munoz Agudelo
Organismic & Evolutionary Biology

I study wild bees and the fitness consequences from common  practices in agriculture, such as the use of neonicotinoids, landscape simplification and scarcity of floral resources among others.

BRiDGE Alumni

The founding BRiDGE Coordinating Committee was composed of Benjamin Keisling, Raquel Bryant, Nadia Fernandez, Nigel Golden, and Mariela Garcia Arredondo.

Benjamin Keisling
Geosciences

My research focuses on identifying the causes of ice-sheet fluctuations during the last few million years and understanding the climatic consequences of ice-sheet collapse.

Website
Raquel Bryant
Geosciences

I use microfossils called foraminifera to study how ancient oceans responded to and recovered from intervals of environmental change like rapid warming.

@foramsraqu
Srishti Kashyap
Microbiology

I study microbe-mineral interactions and biogenic rock and mineral transformations, catalyzed by high-temperature microbes called hyperthermophilic iron reducers that live in hot springs and deep sea hydrothermal vents.

Emily Bechtold
Microbiology

I study how bacteria interact with plants on the surface of leaves in order to understand if we can utilize these relationships to support sustainable farming practices.