Committee-test

The BRiDGE Coordinating Committee is composed of Nigel Golden, Nadia Fernandez, Elsa Cousins, Brooke Burrows, RoseAnn Vik and Mariela Garcia Arredondo. BRiDGE logos and graphics were designed by Lian Guo.

BRIDGE is supported by the Campus Climate Improvement Grant, Office of Professional DevelopmentOffice of the Associate Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion, the College of Natural Science, the School of Earth and Sustainability, and the NSF Graduate Fellowship Learning Community.

Nigel Golden

Nigel Golden (he/him)

Environmental Conservation

I seek to understand how environmental changes will impact arctic adapted-species like the Arctic Ground Squirrel (Urocitellus parryii) and develop models that will predict shifts in their abundance and distribution.

@scienceizgolden

Mariela Garcia Arredondo

Mariela Garcia Arredondo (she/her)

Environmental Conservation

I use field observations, synchrotron spectroscopy, and laboratory investigations to understand how root weathering affects carbon loss and accrual in soils.

@DraSuelosMari

Nadia Fernandez

Nadia Fernandez

Environmental Conservation

My research applies genomic tools to understand populations of wildlife species. I study the Golden Dorado (Salminus brasiliensis), using genomic approaches to investigate their contemporary and historical population structure.

@TheNadiaFern

Brooke Burrows

Brooke Burrows

Social Psychology – Psychology of Peace and Violence Program

I study how different modes of communication influence individual, group, and societal-level change within both collective action and conflict reconciliation processes.

Website

Elsa Cousins

Elsa Cousins (she/her)

Organismic & Evolutionary Biology

I study the interaction of plants and global change, particularly the evolution of defense chemicals at the edges of non-native plant range expansion.

@e_cuz_

RoseAnn Vik

RoseAnn Vik

Microbiology

I study the pathogenesis of Adenovirus 36 to investigate its role in infective obesity and breast cancer.

@roseannelaine

Katherine Chacon-Vargas

Katherine Chacon-Vargas

Molecular and Cellular Biology, Food Science

I study domestication and evolution of microbes associated with food systems, using comparative genomics and bioinformatics to assess taxonomic and functional changes in the microbial community.

@KatheChacon2

Care Anderson

Care Anderson (they/them)

Environmental Conservation, Stockbridge School of Agriculture

I study how soil carbon and minerals interact in floodplain ecosystems that experience drastic floods and droughts, which will help us predict whether soils will store or release carbon under climate change.

@CareAboutSoils

Sarah McCormick

Sarah McCormick

Psychological & Brain Sciences – Developmental Science

I study how family systems and context promote or inhibit early social-cognitive development.

Website

Sungha Kang

Sungha Kang

Psychological & Brain Sciences – Clinical Psychology

I study the ways that the assessment and diagnosis of ADHD in early childhood vary as a function of family factors, specifically culture and race, and other contextual factors that influence externalizing behaviors including parenting and schools.

Website

Nikki Lee

Nikki Lee

Neuroscience and Behavior

I study hormones and social behavior in rodents. In particular, I am interested in the neural mechanisms that mediate behavioral differences between closely related social and non-social species.

Website

LeAnn Zuñiga

LeAnn Zuñiga (they/them)

Geosciences

My research investigates the sourcing and transport of dissolved manganese in Massachusetts groundwaters to better understand the presence of manganese in glacial aquifer systems.

Kadambari Devarajan

Kadambari Devarajan (she/her)

Organismic & Evolutionary Biology

I study the community dynamics of vertebrates at different spatial and temporal scales using fieldwork, theory, and quantitative methods with a focus on mammalian carnivores.

@kadambarid, website

Srishti Kashyap

Srishti Kashyap

Microbiology

I study microbe-mineral interactions and biogenic rock and mineral transformations, catalyzed by high-temperature microbes called hyperthermophilic iron reducers that live in hot springs and deep sea hydrothermal vents.

@srishers

Emily Bechtold

Emily Bechtold

Microbiology

I study how bacteria interact with plants on the surface of leaves in order to understand if we can utilize these relationships to support sustainable farming practices.

Website

Alam García-Heredia

Alam García-Heredia

Molecular and Cellular Biology

I investigate how mycobacteria, an important and unique group of bacteria, make, edit and coordinate the synthesis of their cell envelope.

@AlamGarciaHered

BRiDGE Alumni

The founding BRiDGE Coordinating Committee was composed of Benjamin Keisling, Raquel Bryant, Nadia Fernandez, Nigel Golden, and Mariela Garcia Arredondo.

Benjamin Keisling

Benjamin Keisling

Geosciences

My research focuses on identifying the causes of ice-sheet fluctuations during the last few million years and understanding the climatic consequences of ice-sheet collapse.

Website

Raquel Bryant

Raquel Bryant

Geosciences

I use microfossils called foraminifera to study how ancient oceans responded to and recovered from intervals of environmental change like rapid warming.

@foramsraqu