THURSDAY OCTOBER 31
9:00 – 10:30 Panel I Butoh, Nation, and Cultural Adaptation
- jacki job (butoh in South Africa) Confirmed.
- Christine Greiner (Brazil) Anthropophagical Butoh: Brazilian experiences to rethink dancing bodies
- Tanya Calamoneri (Texas Tech University) Rooted in Ritual: Mexican butoh diaspora Confirmed.
- Michio Arimitsu (Keio University,) Katherine Dunham/Hijikata, RSVP-ed Yes.
11- 12:30 Panel II Butoh Revolution and Protest
- William Marotti (UCLA)– Hijikata Tatsumi and the Revolution. Confirmed.
- Katja Centonze (Italy, ) – Placing Protest: Paradoxes in Butoh’s Body Politics
- Maria Pia D’Orazi (Italy) — “Butoh training and the quantum body”
1:30 – 3:00 Panel III Butoh/Body/Politics
- Katherine Mezur () on gender
- Julie Dind – (Brown University) “When I begin to wish I were crippled”: Exploring ideas and images of disability in Hijikata Tatsumi‟s work. Confirmed (prefers to go on Friday so as not to miss class)
- Ivan Espinosa– (NYU) Bowels of the Earth: Experiencing Mycelium and Shapeshifting Fungal Networks through Hijikata Tatsumi ’s Butoh Choreographies. Confirmed.
- Jeff Janisheski – Nature as your Teacher
4:30 – 6:30 Workshop at Japan Society–Yuko Kaseki
6:30-8 Reception at Japan Society
FRIDAY NOVEMBER 1
9:00 – 10:00 Keynote : Bruce and Rosemary
10:30-12:00 Panel IV Butoh and Language
- Darinka Pilari –(Hungary) From a black hole towards the galaxy – passing beyond the heritage of ankoku butō
- Jacquelyn Marie Shannon —“Beware The Word”: Ethnochoreographic Interview Theatre Exploration of Butoh Artists and The Limits of Speech, Confirmed.
- Megan Nicely – Translation and Butoh Transmission. Confirmed.
12:00- 1:30 Panel V Re-embodying Butoh: Experimentation and Adaptations
- Sara Jansen (Belgium) on Trajal Harrell Confirmed
- Jonathan Hall on Kawaguchi Takao (Ohno dances) Confirmed..
- Alice Blumenfeld (Oberlin College) — A Butoh Approach to Flamenco. Confirmed
2:30 – 4:00 Panel VI RETITLE: Butoh’s (Moving) Images
- Jonathan Marshall, “Post-butoh” and the Acephale” Australia.
- Michael Sakamoto. “MuNK: Loving the Non-Alien: visual-corporeal expressivity in butoh photography and performance” Confirmed.
- Karolina Bieszczad-Roley– (Norway) ““A Man With a Camera” – Embodied Perception of a Butoh Dance Photographer” Confirmed.
- Lucille Druet– (France) Butoh Costumes. Confirmed.
4:30 – 6:00 Another Panel? Or absorb time above (and maybe move lunch back to earlier time)
8-10 films? Performance? Butoh cabaret?
* 4 person panels give 15 min papers
Saturday NOVEMBER 2
9-12 Body Movement–Ximena Garnica (Colombia), Leimay, CAVE
Respondent–Zach Fuller (?)
2-5 Body Movement SU-EN (Sweden), SU-EN Butoh Company
Respondent–Miki Seifert (?)
8-10 Performance: Yuko Kaseki (Japan living in Germany)
Sunday NOVEMBER 3
10-1 Body Movement–Momo Freehill