For the new generation of NMR users who are not familiar with manual shimming:
- In Topspin, lock the sample
- Type lockdisp to display the lock window.
- type bsmsdisp to display the shim window.
- In the bsmsdisp window, find the buttons z and z2
- Click z. Click Step Size. Change it to 10
- Click the + or – button to adjust z value and watch if the lock line is going higher or lower. Adjust z such that lock line goes higher. Do it until the lock line does not go any higher.
- Click z2. Change step size to 10. Repeat step 6 for z2.
- Click z and repeat step 6.
- Repeat steps 6 – 8 until the lock level does not go any higher. you are done.