I am a condensed matter theorist working on strongly correlated quantum systems, with a focus on the interplay of strong interactions and quantum entanglement, leading to new emergent phenomena both in thermal equilibrium and in non-equilibrium quantum systems. Some of my recent research interests include: thermalization, quantum hydrodynamics, non-equilibrium steady states, quantum entanglement, tensor networks, many-body localization, disordered systems, driven quantum systems, topological phases of matter and topological phase transitions.
I am an Assistant Professor in the Physics Department at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Prior to this, I was a Postdoctoral Fellow at Lawrence Berkeley National laboratory (2013-2017), working in the Condensed Matter Theory Center at the University of California, Berkeley in Joel Moore’s group. I obtained my PhD at IPhT (CEA, Saclay) and LPTENS (ENS, Paris) under the supervision of Hubert Saleur and Jesper Jacobsen.
- Congratulations to Javier on getting a distinguished teaching award! (link)
- My paper with Sarang Gopalakrishnan on spin diffusion and superdiffusion in XXZ spin chains published in PRL! (link)
- Utkarsh’s first paper at UMass on hydrodynamics and anomalous relaxation in integrable random spin chains posted on arxiv! (link)
- I got a Sloan Research Fellowship! See press releases here and there.
- Analytically solvable renormalization group model for the many-body localization published in PRL (link)
- I was awarded a DOE Early Career Award! See the press releases here and there.
- Our paper on Floquet Quantum Criticality accepted at PNAS! (read here)
- KITP program: I am co-organizing a KITP program on the Dynamics of Quantum Information in Summer/Fall 2018, together with Rahul Nandkishore (CU Boulder), Sid Parameswaran (Oxford), and Marcos Rigol (Penn State). Watch the talks online here.
- Our paper on gapless symmetry-protected topological order was published in PRX! (link)
Department of Physics, Hasbrouck Laboratory
University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA 01003-9337 USA
Office: 405A Hasbrouck
email: rvasseur [at] umass [dot] edu