I am interested in syntax and its acquisition. I am interested in and looking at factivity, quantifiers, partial movement, long-distance and matrix wh- questions, indirect questions, clefts, tense, subordination, relative clauses, wh-in situ, prosody…
I am a member of the Acquisition lab/LARC that meets every other week. The calendar can be found here. In the Fall 2014, the lab meets in our new building ILC (integrative learning center), contact Jeremy Hartman (Linguistics) or Luiz Amaral (LLC) for info. You can receive emails by registering here
I am also a member of ICESL, which supports interdisciplinary research that uses computational and experimental methods to study human language as a cognitive system.
I am on leave in 2014-2015 here.
Acquisition of Factivity
Prosody of wh-in situ in long distance
Embedded Clefts in Spoken French
References: Here is a compilation of references I am using in my work these days (highly selected)
Oiry 2011a. L’Acquisition des Questions à Longue-Distance par des enfants français. Stratégie à dépendance directe versus indirecte et questions alternatives. Editions Universitaires Européennes. 2011.
Papers, Conference proceedings and working papers
Movement all the way: French ‘embedded’ clefts. RALFe Paris, October 9-10.
Some questions (and answers) about cleft sentences (with Nicolas Guilliot). In revision.
2011b. A case of true optionality: Wh-in-situ patterns like Long Movement in French in The Optionality of Wh-Movement. Edited by Anna Roussou and Christos Vlachos (University of Patras). Linguistic Analysis (37:1-2): 112-136.2011.
Oiry and Roeper 2009. How Language Acquisition Reveals Minimalist Symmetry in the Wh-System. Selected papers from the Cyprus Syntaxfest. Edited by Kleanthes K. Grohman and Phoevos Panagiotidis. Cambridge Scholars Publishing: Chapter 1, 11-28. 2009.
Demirdache and Oiry 2008. On the Syntax and Semantics of LD questions in Child French. Language Acquisition and Development: Proceedings of GALA 2007. Edited by Anna Gavarró and M. João Freitas. Cambridge Scholars Publishing : 177-188. 2008.
Demirdache and Oiry 2007. On the Felicity Conditions for Long-Distance Questions in L1 Acquisition . Proceedings of BUCLD 31. Edited by Heather Caunt-Nulton, Samantha Kulatilake and I-Hao Woo. Cascadilla Press: 184-195. 2007.
Oiry and Demirdache 2006. Evidence from L1 Acquisition for the Syntax of Wh-Scope Marking in French (with Hamida Demirdache) in The Acquisition of Romance Languages, Collection Language Acquisition and Language Disorders, n°41. Torrens V & Escobar L. (eds) Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Direct versus indirect wh-scope marking strategies in French child grammar in University of Massachusetts Occasional Papers. University of Massachusetts, Amherst. 2006.
2005. “Les Questions Exceptionnelles en Français L1”. Actes du Colloque APPLIC.
- How children reacts to a contextually canceled presupposition. Developmental Brown bag lunch, Department of Psychology at UMass Amherst, Invited talk. Nov 2013.
- L’acquisition des questions à longue distance chez les enfants français à l’interface syntaxe-sémantique. Invited talk, Paris 7 Diderot. March 2013.
- Acquisition of Long-Distance questions: a poverty of stimulus argument. University of Maryland. Invited talk. November 2012.
- Some questions (and answers) about cleft sentences (with Nicolas Guilliot). LSRL 41, University of Ottawa. May 2011.
- Cleft questions uncovered. UUSLAW (UConn, UMass, Smith Language Acquisition Workshop). Spring 2011.
- A case of true optionality: Wh- in situ Patterns like Long Movement in French. ISTAL 19 (International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics). Workshop on the Optionality of Wh-Movement. April 5th, 2009. Thessaloniki.
- On the Syntax & Semantics of Long-Distance questions in child French. With Hamida Demirdache. GALA 2007. September 6-8, Barcelona.
- On the Felicity Conditions of Long-distance Questions in L1 acquisition. With Hamida Demirdache. BUCLD 31. November 3-5, 2006.
- Wh-Scope Marking (and their Semantics values). Workshop in Syntax & Semantics. Université de Paris 8. September 13-15, 2006.
- Wh-Scope Marking and the acquisition of complementation. Romance Turn II. With Hamida Demirdache , Oana Lungu. September 7-9, 2006.
- Wh- Scope Marking in French L1 Paper presented at UUSLAW (UConn, UMass, Smith Language Acquisition Workshop). Organiser: University of Massachusetts. December 10th, 2005.
- On The Syntax Of Exceptional Questions in French L1 Acquisition. Paper presented at The Romance Turn, Workshop on the Acquisition of Romance Languages. Madrid (Spain). Organisers: Linda Escobar (Universidad Nacional de Educacion Distancia), Anna Gavarro (Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona), Vicenc Torrens (Universidad Nacional de Educacion Distancia) and Kenneth Wexler (M.I.T.). September 16-18, 2004.
- Evidence from L1 Acquisition for the Syntax of Wh- Scope Marking Paper presented at the 2nd Student Workshop on Syntax and Semantics. Organiser: Universitat autonoma de Barcelona. September 15-17, 2004.
- Les Questions Exceptionnelles en Français L1. Poster presented at the APLIC Conference (Acquisition, Pratiques Langagières, Interactions verbales et Contacts). Université de Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris. Résumé. Organisers: CALIPSO (EA 170). June 25-26, 2004.
408 Integrative Learning Center
650 North Pleasant Street
Amherst, MA 01003Tel (413) 545-6826