I am interested in syntax and its acquisition. I am looking at (long-distance) questions, clefts, tense, subordination, relative clauses, wh-in situ, prosody.
I am a member of the Acquisition lab/LARC that meets every other week or so. The calendar can be found here. We meet in the Partee Room this Spring on Mondays between 12 and 1:30.
I am also a member of ICESL, which supports interdisciplinary research that uses computational and experimental methods to study human language as a cognitive system.
Oiry 2011a. L’Acquisition des Questions à Longue-Distance par des enfants français. Stratégie à dépendance directe versus indirecte et questions alternatives. Editions Universitaires Européennes. 2011.
Papers, Conference proceedings and working papers
In Preparation. Spoken French is a Simple Partial Movement language.
Some questions (and answers) about cleft sentences (with Nicolas Guilliot). In revision.
2011b. A case of true optionality: Wh-in-situ patterns like Long Movement in French in The Optionality of Wh-Movement. Edited by Anna Roussou and Christos Vlachos (University of Patras). Linguistic Analysis (37:1-2): 112-136.2011.
Oiry and Roeper 2009. How Language Acquisition Reveals Minimalist Symmetry in the Wh-System. Selected papers from the Cyprus Syntaxfest. Edited by Kleanthes K. Grohman and Phoevos Panagiotidis. Cambridge Scholars Publishing: Chapter 1, 11-28. 2009.
Demirdache and Oiry 2008. On the Syntax and Semantics of LD questions in Child French. Language Acquisition and Development: Proceedings of GALA 2007. Edited by Anna Gavarró and M. João Freitas. Cambridge Scholars Publishing : 177-188. 2008.
Demirdache and Oiry 2007. On the Felicity Conditions for Long-Distance Questions in L1 Acquisition . Proceedings of BUCLD 31. Edited by Heather Caunt-Nulton, Samantha Kulatilake and I-Hao Woo. Cascadilla Press: 184-195. 2007.
Oiry and Demirdache 2006. Evidence from L1 Acquisition for the Syntax of Wh-Scope Marking in French (with Hamida Demirdache) in The Acquisition of Romance Languages, Collection Language Acquisition and Language Disorders, n°41. Torrens V & Escobar L. (eds) Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Direct versus indirect wh-scope marking strategies in French child grammar in University of Massachusetts Occasional Papers. University of Massachusetts, Amherst. 2006.
2005. “Les Questions Exceptionnelles en Français L1”. Actes du Colloque APPLIC.
- L’acquisition des questions à longue distance chez les enfants français à l’interface syntaxe-sémantique. Invited talk, Paris 7 Diderot. March 2013.
- Acquisition of Long-Distance questions: a poverty of stimulus argument. University of Maryland. Invited talk. November 2012.
- Some questions (and answers) about cleft sentences (with Nicolas Guilliot). LSRL 41, University of Ottawa. May 2011.
- Cleft questions uncovered. UUSLAW (UConn, UMass, Smith Language Acquisition Workshop). Spring 2011.
- A case of true optionality: Wh- in situ Patterns like Long Movement in French. ISTAL 19 (International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics). Workshop on the Optionality of Wh-Movement. April 5th, 2009. Thessaloniki.
- On the Syntax & Semantics of Long-Distance questions in child French. With Hamida Demirdache. GALA 2007. September 6-8, Barcelona.
- On the Felicity Conditions of Long-distance Questions in L1 acquisition. With Hamida Demirdache. BUCLD 31. November 3-5, 2006.
- Wh-Scope Marking (and their Semantics values). Workshop in Syntax & Semantics. Université de Paris 8. September 13-15, 2006.
- Wh-Scope Marking and the acquisition of complementation. Romance Turn II. With Hamida Demirdache , Oana Lungu. September 7-9, 2006.
- Wh- Scope Marking in French L1 Paper presented at UUSLAW (UConn, UMass, Smith Language Acquisition Workshop). Organiser: University of Massachusetts. December 10th, 2005.
- On The Syntax Of Exceptional Questions in French L1 Acquisition. Paper presented at The Romance Turn, Workshop on the Acquisition of Romance Languages. Madrid (Spain). Organisers: Linda Escobar (Universidad Nacional de Educacion Distancia), Anna Gavarro (Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona), Vicenc Torrens (Universidad Nacional de Educacion Distancia) and Kenneth Wexler (M.I.T.). September 16-18, 2004.
- Evidence from L1 Acquisition for the Syntax of Wh- Scope Marking Paper presented at the 2nd Student Workshop on Syntax and Semantics. Organiser: Universitat autonoma de Barcelona. September 15-17, 2004.
- Les Questions Exceptionnelles en Français L1. Poster presented at the APLIC Conference (Acquisition, Pratiques Langagières, Interactions verbales et Contacts). Université de Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris. Résumé. Organisers: CALIPSO (EA 170). June 25-26, 2004.
150 Hicks Way
Amherst, MA 01003-9274, USA
Tel (413) 545-6826