Nancy Folbre

Director, Program on Gender and Care Work
Political Economy Research Institute
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003
nancy.folbre@gmail.com

My research explores the interface between political economy and feminist theory, with a particular emphasis on the value of unpaid care work. In addition to numerous articles published in academic journals, I am the editor of For Love and Money: Care Work in the U.S. (Russell Sage, 2012), and the author of Greed, Lust, and Gender: A History of Economic Ideas (Oxford, 2009), Valuing Children: Rethinking the Economics of the Family (Harvard, 2008), and The Invisible Heart: Economics and Family Values (New Press, 2001). I  have also written widely for a popular audience, including contributions to the New York Times Economix blog, The Nation, and the American Prospect. Check out my blog, Care Talk,  elsewhere on this site. For more professional details, see my Academic Vita 2015.

I retired as Professor of Economics from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 2013 in order to devote more time to reading, writing, research, illustration, and communication, not to mention various other entertainments. I am currently directing a research program at the Political Economy Institute (PERI) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and enjoy an appointment as Senior Scholar at the Levy Institute of Bard College. You will find more about my academic credentials and projects below.

I do a modest amount of public speaking and consulting. Feel free to contact me via the email above for further information.