The University of Massachusetts Amherst
Categories
Undergraduate Students

Sanjay Singh ’13 represents economics at SBS Senior Celebration

Sanjay Singh
Sanjay Singh

Sanjay Singh ’13 was the Department of Economics student speaker at the 2013 SBS Senior Celebration held on May 11 at the Mullins Center. As a student, Singh served as 2012-2013 UEC Board of Governor, was co-founder of the Massachusetts Undergraduate Journal of Economics, and worked as a staff member at the Center for Education Policy and Advocacy. Post-graduation, Singh will be entering the corporate Human Resource Development Program at Liberty Mutual in Boston, complementing his interests in labor economics, human resources, and industrial relations. His remarks are below.

Good afternoon. I’m proud to say that I am a graduate of the UMass Economics Department. Studying Economics at UMass has triggered my curiosity about the world around me, leading me to ask questions such as: How did I get a 40% average in Intermediate Microeconomics with Professor Katzner, and still end up with an A? Should I double check my spreadsheet for errors? How many years does Machmer Hall realistically have before it collapses?

Economics has allowed me to see the world through a new lens. It has taught me that one must understand the Neoclassical model, but also not be afraid to question it.  Economics has taught me to always consider the costs and benefits before making a decision. Lastly, Economics has taught me to always maintain a dynamic worldview, when reality proves that our economic models were wrong. Like in 2007.

On behalf of all Economics graduates, I’d like to thank all members of the Economics faculty, all graduate student assistants, all of our peers, and all of our families, for supporting us along the way. None of us would be here today if it weren’t for you all.

Congratulations, class of 2013, and good luck on all of your future endeavors!