If you really enjoy singing and singing in choirs, consider joining one of the University’s choral ensembles. Choral singing is a series of enjoyments, an activity that makes your learning more effective and one you can enjoy lifelong — the experience is always new. Our choirs are open to any student interested in collegiate-level choral music, regardless of major. They are suited to various levels of singing experience and technical levels. All offer one hour of credit and most everything needed for success happens within the scheduled rehearsals.
Entrance to all the groups is by a Choral Placement Hearing, which is brief and painless. Read the directions below carefully to sign up for a placement audition for fall of 2014. Auditions will take place during the first week of classes (September 2-5, 2014). NOTE: Ensemble rehearsals will begin on Monday, September 8.
1) Read about our choral ensembles to see which might be the right fit for your skills and schedule. NOTE: We will try to accommodate schedules, but you will be placed in the most appropriate ensemble based upon the audition.
2) Complete the online audition form.
3) There is no preparation necessary for those interested in University Chorale, Recital Choir, or Women’s Choir (those interested in Chamber Choir, see #4 below). Just show up at your chosen time and we will have you sing scales to determine range and color, demonstrate tonal memory (a pattern will be played on the piano and you sing it back on “La”), clap rhythms, and sight-read a short melody. If you are not a strong sight-reader, don’t worry. We’ll teach you in one of our ensembles.
4) For those interested in auditioning for Chamber Choir: Schedule a first-round audition time (Tuesday or Wednesday preferred). If you receive a call-back, you must be available for call-back auditions on Friday, September 5 from 2:30-4:10 pm in Bezanson Recital Hall. The first-round audition will consist of scales, tonal memory, rhythm, sight-reading, and a prepared excerpt. The excerpt will be available on the website in early August.
4) Sign up for an audition time below. Please put the date and time in your calendar. We will not re-confirm this appointment. Auditions will take place in the Fine Arts Center in room 149E – Dr. Paparo’s office.
Thursday, September 4, 2014
10 am-11:30 am – open auditions (Chamber Choir, Chorale, Recital Choir, Women’s Choir)
Friday, September 5, 2014
10 am -12:00 noon – open auditions (Chorale, Recital Choir, Women’s Choir)
We look forward to meeting you and hearing you sing!