Study Groups

Voluntary study groups.  These are one way to enhance student learning by sharing responsibility for learning.  Affiliation with a group is totally voluntary, but please note that some groups may have a specific focus (eg: major, or dorm).

A good model to begin with: assign one HW problem to each member of the group, and have that person teach the solution to the entire group.  If groups get too big, feel free to splinter off (schism?).  As these are totally voluntary, I hope that students participate via collective governance.

Here are some of the study group contacts.  I’ll add to the list as I get the OK to publish contact info (some won’t want me to this!).  Each will be able to write comments for this page, and post their meeting times here.

Email them, or me, or Nag to get full solution to one of the book_HW problems – then compare notes with other students!

Group Name                      Coordinator                                           email

Southwest South  Sherwood Alexis     alexis(at)student.umass.edu
Engineering RAP             Jonathan Aprile        japrile(at)student.umass.edu
Southwest    Jennyfer Delva  jdelva(at)student.umass.edu
. Jesse Diamond    jadiamon(at)student.umass.edu
Orchard Hill I Joseph Galeano    jgaleano(at)student.umass.edu
.  Paul Ganieany  pganiean(at)student.umass.edu
. Nicole Gendreau    nagendre(at)student.umass.edu
Orchard Hill II Brianna Lee     bhlee(at)student.umass.edu
Northeast Sci Shahzad Master smaster(at)student.umass.edu
. Patrick O’Brien pwobrien(at)student.umass.edu
. Laura Risch     lrisch(at)student.umass.edu
Central Group Evangelos Souliotis       esouliot(at)student.umass.edu
Northeast Engineering   Jincheng Yang jincheng(at)student.umass.edu

BradyKChem

24 thoughts on “Study Groups

1. Charlie Ciano

In response to the comment left by Jincheng Yang:
    I would love to attend your study group but where is the Integrated Sciences & Engineering Library. Are you referring to the ISB?
    Thank you!

2. Eva Laznicka

I am in a study group and it meets in James in Southwest. We’re definitely meeting before the next test (hopefully this weekend). If anyone lives near James and would like to join, I will let you know the specific time we’re meeting when I find out!

3. Madeline Niziak

I don’t know if I missed the answer to this, but when does the southwest study group meet and when? Thanks!

4. Evangelos Souliotis

In addition to doing the occasional study group, I also find it effective just to talk with people one-on-one about certain things that may be foggy just to get a second opinion on it before throwing in the towel and asking the professor for clarification.

If anyone just wants to shoot questions by me or have a discussion on a certain issue that you may not want to talk with professor Knapp about just yet, feel free to email me or message me on Facebook (I go by Angelo on the site).

PS: If you do want to form a study group at any time, feel free to contact me by the same means. 🙂

5. Aviva Goldblatt

I live off campus and would really like to be in a study group.. or even just get together with some people who want to study a few times before the test. I always find that going over material with someone else helps clear up any confusion. Let me know if anyone is interested in meeting at the lib or ISB a couple times for a study session!! my email is aegoldbl@student.umass.edu in case its easier to reach me that way!

6. Jincheng Yang

I’ll be hosting study group session this coming Thursday (10/15) from 4 pm to 5:30 pm at the Integrated Sciences & Engineering Library. Feel free to bring your OWL homework with you.

7. chem111-mjknapp Post author

I heard about a great way to help students work together to study their material. I am going to consider it: have each study group submit an exam question for the next midterm. I would have to select a small number (perhaps 3-5). Who’s game?

8. Jonathan Aprile

Hey everybody,

Unfortunately since my original time set for the Northeast Engineering RAP study group wasn’t that great for many people in the RAP I will change the time to Wednesdays at 7pm. Thanks. See you guys there.

9. Neha

does anyone who live in the central area want to meet up tonight for last minute clarifications?
    i am pretty flexible with the meeting time/place.
    call or text me if anyone is interested!
    5084397142

10. Thomas Carleton

I also live in southwest and would like to join a study group that meets sunday for some last minute clarifications if anyone is interested. text me 508-521-0251

11. Ariana Gavrielidis

hey alexis,

if youre holding any study group sessions tonight, tomorrow, or over the weekend, let me know, i live in southwest but ill meet up with the group where ever.

-Ariana

12. Charlie Ciano

Hey everyone,
    I was just wondering what group I would fall under? I live in Sylvan and I think I may be the only one from our class who does. If anyone wants to meet up to study please e-mail me!

-Charlie
    cciano@student.umass.edu

13. Alissa Martin

Hello!

Is there anyone else who lives off campus (as in N. Amherst or other towns), who would like to be in a weekly study group? Preferably including someone who knows all the answers? 🙂 We could meet at Amherst Coffee or somewhere else. Let me know if you’re interested!

Thanks,
    Alissa

14. Jonathan Aprile

Hey everybody,

The Northeast Engineering RAP study group will meet on Tuesdays at 4pm in the Knowlton Dorm in the 2nd floor lounge. See you guys there. Thanks.

15. Patrick O'Brien

Hello, everyone. I, too, live in Orchard Hill, but since I was beaten to the punch by two people, I would be more than willing to accomodate anyone. As far as the \interest group\ aspect, I am a math major, so if that would jive with anyone, that’s great, too. The hours that would work best for me are after 6:30 any day, or during the middle of the day on Tuesday/Thursday. If that works into your schedule, send me an e-mail at pwobrien@student.umass.edu and we can work something out. Thanks you all so much.

16. Laura Risch

Hey everyone!

I’m signed up as a study group leader. I do not technically live on campus ( I live near the south end of campus) but I am willing to walk to the library to meet up to study Chemistry at the library.

Email me if you want to meet up and I will try and set up a weekly time that works for people!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Laura

17. Brianna Lee

Hey, I’m also holding a study group in Orchard Hill. I’m trying to get people to make it tomorrow (Monday 9/21) from 5:00-6:30 in the Dickinson common room, so if you can come, please do! We’ll also do another meeting on Thursday (9/24), same place, same time for those of you who can’t make it tomorrow.
    See you then!

18. Joseph Galeano

Hey everyone. If anyone is in Orchard Hill and needs help or wants a group to study with, just email me and I’ll figure out how to accommodate everyone. Even if you’re not in Ohill, you’re still welcome.
    Studying in a group is better than studying alone!

Email: jgaleano@student.umass.edu