*Check out the Fall 2018 Registration Advising Resources on the Resource Page!.
This site is intended to be a tool for the implementation and utilization of SSC CAMPUS at UMass Amherst. It is maintained by Undergraduate Student Success and will be updated regularly with the latest information on the CAMPUS platform.
Here you will find resource documents and guides as well as best practice on using the CAMPUS platform for advising, student success, and retention. It will serve as both a repository and communication tool for staff interested in getting the most out of the platform. As such faculty and staff staff development/training opportunities related to Student Success (including utilization of SSC Campus) will be shared through this page.
If you have questions, suggestions for trainings of topics to be covered, please feel free to contact us via CAMPUS@umass.edu.
Thanks to everyone who came to the first topic based BiCADS session on Creating a Registration Advising Campaign! I hope all of your appointment campaigning is going as we prepare for registration. Please let us know (by emailing CAMPUS@umass.edu) as you have questions.
*NEW* Resource – Registration Advising Campaign Set-up & FAQ Guide
Now available on the Resources page is a set-up guide and FAQ document related to registration advising campaigns. On the last page, you will find a Q&A section based on questions asked during the BiCADS.
Next BiCADS: Friday, October 20th from 12:00 – 1:00pm. Click here to review the topic and get more information. Hope to see you on Friday. (New Users are welcome to come from 11am – 12pm in 416 Goodell for a Q&A session.)
For the remainder of the Fall semester, the Bi-Weekly Campus Advisor Development Sessions will transition to topical sessions. These are meant to be both informative and practical. We will spend time reviewing functionality surrounding a specific topic as well as spend time of application to your workflow and initiatives. Check out the topics dates and topics on the Training Page. Also, let us know what you’d like us to focus a session on by submitting a request! All sessions will be held in 416 Goodell from 12 – 1pm. Lunch will be provided and RSVP’s are needed.
REMINDER: Bi-weekly Campus Advisors Development Sessions (BiCADS)
REMINDER: Bi-weekly Campus Advisors Development Sessions (BiCADS) occur every other Friday from noon-1 in 614 Goodell. Our next session is September 8th Be sure to bring your laptops and your questions!
These sessions are the perfect time to refine skills, learn new functionality, explore workflow ideas, and ask questions.
Sign up by going to the “Trainings” tab above and clicking on the “REGISTER HERE” link.
If you are a new user you can sign up to start at 11AM and have even more time to learn!
Student Communications via SSC CAMPUS – Use of the “Send Message” Action
- Promote effective communication between advisor and students
- To reduce the risk of email overload, and maintain the integrity of the registrar’s policy on availability of student lists (data reports and queries).
- Maintain the integrity of the advisor/student relationship, particularly the importance and urgency of direct advisor/student communication.
- As students are frequently sent large amounts of bulk email, the CAMPUS platform should be used to communicate official advising related information, policy, reminders, alerts and action items that impact the standing, progression, retention, and graduation of students.
- As a communication tool, CAMPUS should be used by advisors to communicate directly with their assigned students (either in groups or individually).
- In cases where advisors are not assigned students, communication via campus should only occur with students the advisor has direct responsibility for or has/is developing a relationship with.
- The CAMPUS platform should not be used to market events to large groups of students. There are other platforms and better methods for marketing events to students at UMass.
- It is highly recommended that each school/college/major (depending on administrative structure) should have a representative who manages and tracks what communications should be sent, when, and by whom. It is also best practice to develop communication schedules and share them across your college (and with Student Success) to reduce duplication, over-communication, and ensure consistency of message/purpose.
- There should be specific actions and/or outcomes of email sent to students that is related to advising (official advising related information, policy, reminders, alerts and action items that impact the standing, progression, retention, and graduation of students).
- The marketing of events to large groups of students via the CAMPUS platform is highly discouraged due to the risk of overuse and duplication of messages across students falling into multiple populations.
- The platform will remain an effective student/advisor communication tool as long as the significance of the messages sent remains high (from the student perspective) and the frequency of messages sent remains low (within the context of all the messages a student receives from UMass).
For assistance in developing a policy, schedule, or outreach campaigns feel free to attend a Bi-Weekly Campus Advisor Development Session (BiCAD), contact Student Success at our CAMPUS@umass.edu email, or give us a call at 5-6493.
PDF Version: Policy on use of EAB SSC CAMPUS for communication with students
The following is a link to the list of Categories that are searchable in SSC CAMPUS.
PDF Version: Searchable Categories in CAMPUS
We look forward to seeing you on Thursday, March 30th for an informative day with our colleagues from EAB. Hope to see you there!
-Your SSC CAMPUS Leadership Team
In response to more helpful feedback we have received from advisors/users throughout the CAMPUS implementation process, we have given “appointment update” permission to advisors, program assistants, location administrators, program administrators, and graduate student advisors.
This feature allows you to move and reassign student appointments that are your own or that of another advisor. This can be used, for example, when an advisor is unexpectedly out of the office and has student appointments that need to be reassigned to a different advisor in a timely manner.
We hope this helps in your daily workflow as we continue to improve the platform.
SSC CAMPUS Leadership Team
These Bi-weekly sessions will be focused on navigating CAMPUS as it relates to best UMass Advising workflow practices. New Users are welcome to stay for the second hour to learn about how experienced colleagues use CAMPUS in their own units.
- NEW USER Bi Weekly CAMPUS Advisor Development Sessions (BiCADS) are held every other week on Fridays in 614 Goodell from 11am-12pm. Please register HERE
- REGULAR Bi Weekly CAMPUS Advisor Development Sessions (BiCADS) are held every other week on Fridays in 614 Goodell from 12pm-1pm. Please register HERE