The SGA Ways & Means Committee has had significant delays in getting budget packets to RSOs. Because of these delays, they have extended the deadline to Wednesday, February 27th at 9:00PM. If you have already completed this packet, use the extra time to double check it or go over it with a member of the CSD staff.
(photo: Auntie P)
Want to be the next SGA President? How about the student member of the UMass Board of Trustees? Elections are NOW. Pick up nomination packets in the SGA Office (420 Student Union) and return them by 6:00pm on Tuesday 2/26. Campaign period begins then and it’ll be too late. Questions? Stop by the SGA or the CSD and find out what these positions are all about.
(photo: Brande Jackson)
SGA Executive Elections are just around the corner. Voting will be March 5th and 6th, but nominations are just a couple of weeks away. Think about running for Area Government, SGA President, or Student Trustee. Head over to the SGA Website to get the latest updates on the campaign.
The SGA has announced the dates for their budget workshops. All RSOs who want a budget have to attend one of these (or one of the ones that were offered in December) in order to request a budget.
- 6:00pm -Wednesday, February 6th, 2008 -Campus Center 904
- 6:00pm – Thursday, February 7th, 2008 – Campus Center 904
- 6:00pm – Wednesday, February 13th, 2008 – Campus Center 904
- 6:00pm – Thursday, February 14th, 2008 – Campus Center 904
If you have any questions, contact Yannick Brookes, Chair of the Ways and Means committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Many of you may be interested to know that the Student Government Association has put up a new website. This site should be updated more frequently, so make sure to bookmark it and reference it for information. Currently there are announcements regarding the General Student Strike, SGA Elections (just around the corner), and the Ways and Means budget process.
For a lot of student organizations, spring semester means preparing budgets to submit to the SGA Ways and Means Committee. Here is a brief overview of the process:
- Attend a budget workshop: The SGA will be holding a series of budget workshops throughout February. These workshops will go over the nuiances of budget creation. After attending a workshop, you will receive your budget packet via e-mail as a Microsoft Excel Document. This document is what you will use to create your budget request.
- Creating your budget request: Meet with your organization to decide what budget priorities the organization will have for the coming year. You may also want to meet with your advisor if you need more help. Start early and get the packet filled out so you can tweak things later.
- Submit your budget: Once you’re done, e-mail your budget packet to the Ways and Means Committee. Packets must be received by 5:00pm on Wednesday, February 20th to be considered.
That’s it! Check back here or in your e-mail for dates/times for the budget workshops. If everything goes smoothly, the SGA plans to have initial budget allocations announced in April. After this, there will be a short appeals process before the full allocation goes before the senate in early May.
If you’ve got any questions, contact the Chair of the Ways and Means Committee, Yannick Brookes at email@example.com.