Study Abroad Experiences

“A Day in the life of a Sociology Student” will showcase Sociology majors who are doing great things, like interning, studying abroad and more!
Hopefully the stories of these students will let you know what kind of opportunities are available, and what your fellow students are accomplishing.

UMass Sociology student (and Peer Advisor) Allie Jones is currently studying in Leiden, the Netherlands.

The following is a letter that Allie wrote to explain how studying abroad has been an amazing experience.

Writing to recommend all sociology students to study abroad would not quite say enough about my experience thus far. I am here to beg students. Being abroad has been the most exciting, strange, and beautiful experiences of my life. I have been pulled out of my comfort zone and have encountered piles of problems but I have been enjoying myself the whole ride. Through leaving the country and moving halfway across the globe I thought I would grow as a person by becoming more cultured and aware. In reality I started to grow the second I decided to apply. Through the application process I became more detail-oriented, organized, and motivated to advocate for myself. Since applying I have learned all sorts of lessons but of the most importance I have learned patience. In America we are programmed to expect instant satisfaction and in Europe they seem to be on a slightly different timetable. Even the fast food could be nicknamed “not-so-fast (but still fried) food.”

This has been a trip full of discovery. I have found bliss in Barcelona, inspiration in Prague, and absolute joy in my “home” country, the Netherlands. I have discovered so much about myself including my newfound passion for traveling. Studying at Leiden University I have been fortunate enough to be living in international housing. While I have met a new best friend here that attends UMass Amherst, I also have friends from Hungary, Chile, Poland, Spain, Brazil, England, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Siberia, Mexico, Sweden, Australia, you name it! My eyes have opened to the joys of international friendships. As a sociology major, I am so intrigued by group interaction and human behavior. This has been a constant field study for me. My only complaint would have to be that I have to leave all my friends at the end of the program not quite knowing when I will see these great people again. On the other hand, that list is quite a handful of future traveling destinations where I have a friendly face and a tour guide.

I could not be happier to pass on a recommendation to study abroad. It will take years, or my whole life, to really understand how much I have absorbed. Aspiring students, please, please take advantage of this opportunity. Believe in it’s ability to change you as a person and change your outlook on the world. Sociology is everywhere and this has been a hands-on learning experience. If you are interested in my travels, have a look at my blog: sconesjones.wordpress.com

Skip to toolbar